Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Before Versailles" by Kathleen Koen

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

"Before Versailles" by Kathleen Koen

Post by oldhousejunkie » Thu June 30th, 2011, 8:33 pm

I just started this one. Is anyone in the same boat? I'm only in about 15 pages and it hasn't grabbed me just yet. I am interested to see how she characterizes real historical figures.
I blog about all things writing and historical at Caroline Wilson Writes!

I'm also on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads!

Now Available: "Rebel Heart," a romantic historical fiction set in Civil War America and Victorian England.

Available at Amazon

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu June 30th, 2011, 9:22 pm

I was thinking about trying it. The other novel of hers I read didn't grab me--the prose had a breathless quality that irritated me, and I didn't like the heroine--but this one looked interesting when I thumbed through it at the bookstore.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu June 30th, 2011, 9:56 pm

I'll join you as soon as the library copies land.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

Post by oldhousejunkie » Fri July 1st, 2011, 3:05 pm

For whatever reason, I think her books could use a good editor. The prose is too overdone, IMO. But of course, I'm a spare writer, so I tend to gravitate towards similar writings.

I liked "Through a Glass Darkly" and its prequel "Dark Angels." Both were too long, although I was invested enough in the characters to finish both, which says a lot for me nowadays.

This book is hard to get into, it shifts POVs every other paragraph it seems.

I'm already thinking that Sandra Gulland's "Mistress of the Sun" is better. But snaps to any author who writes fiction based on a real historical character. I am quite daunted by the idea!
I blog about all things writing and historical at Caroline Wilson Writes!

I'm also on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads!

Now Available: "Rebel Heart," a romantic historical fiction set in Civil War America and Victorian England.

Available at Amazon

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Mon July 4th, 2011, 11:18 pm

I loved both DA and especially TAGD, but I'm also a real French junkie. This is actually next on my TBR list.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed July 6th, 2011, 3:21 am

I did feel the same way, OldHouseJunkie, when I read TAGD. Very overdone but I liked it anyway. I suppose you must in the mood for a bit of it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 28th, 2011, 11:02 am

[quote=""oldhousejunkie""]For whatever reason, I think her books could use a good editor. The prose is too overdone, IMO. But of course, I'm a spare writer, so I tend to gravitate towards similar writings.

I liked "Through a Glass Darkly" and its prequel "Dark Angels." Both were too long, although I was invested enough in the characters to finish both, which says a lot for me nowadays.

This book is hard to get into, it shifts POVs every other paragraph it seems.

I'm already thinking that Sandra Gulland's "Mistress of the Sun" is better. But snaps to any author who writes fiction based on a real historical character. I am quite daunted by the idea![/quote]

I'm almost done, and couldn't agree more. I've read her other books, and Through a Glass Darkly is a huge favorite. I wonder if that's because I'm so much more invested in those characters? I wish she'd have stuck with them, and I'd dearly love more on Alice and Richard's early days and what led up to his

There's an odd repetiveness/redundancy pattern that's driving me batty. Not quite up to PG's standards but enough to distract me. I also don't care for the POV switches, they come too quick and too frequent.

Louise seems to have too much freedom, I can't imagine a young maid of honor (even such a minor one) being able to hit the stables virtually every morning and ride about the countryside with only a groom.

I think my biggest problem, and one that others might not have is that I have read the Musketeer books (loved them) and I adored the way Dumas wrote Louis, Louise, and he rest of the French court. This book doesn't hold a candle to the story he told.

As for the twist to the Man in the Iron Mask? I'm not quite done, but I'm not terribly fond of where it's going... :mad:

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri July 29th, 2011, 4:22 am

Wow, this must be what makes a horse race: difference of opinions :) I really loved this novel. I got an early ARC to endorse and was completely swept up in it; I especially liked the portrayal of Louis as he emerges from pampered prince to being a powerful ruler. I also enjoyed the women vying for his attention, including Louise.

I loved Sandra Gulland's Mistress of the Sun, as well, but Before Versailles takes a different approach, which I found refreshing.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 29th, 2011, 2:33 pm

Opinions have been very mixed over at Goodreads as well. I didn't hate it, I just expected more from Koen.

Jeanne
Scribbler

Post by Jeanne » Fri July 29th, 2011, 11:36 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Opinions have been very mixed over at Goodreads as well. I didn't hate it, I just expected more from Koen.[/quote]

I am somewhat in the same place; I'm not being carried away as I was by _Dark Angels_. It is not my favourite of her books to date; _DA_ still holds that place, and is on my "comfort reads" list. I have yet to be invested in any of the characters, but I am interested in where the book is headed.

I've corresponded a bit with KK, and I do know that she was undecided after finishing _DA_ about which direction she would pursue; but she had all this research from the 17th century with potential story lines she wanted to follow. My hope is that eventually we will get more of the story with Alice & Richard, although I can appreciate that she was starting to steer into territory - Monmouth's Rebellion, the Stuart succession - that was fun to tantalizingly hint at, but would have to be faced head on in a novel. Personally, I told her I'd love to see more about Jerusalem Saylor, arguably one of my favourite characters after Alice herself.

Return to “Book Buddies”