Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"The Wordsmith's Tale" by Stephen Edden

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Kate139
Scribbler

"The Wordsmith's Tale" by Stephen Edden

Post by Kate139 » Thu June 9th, 2011, 4:15 pm

I've just finished a novel called "The Wordsmith's Tale" and feel as if I've been to heaven and back! There are so many things I want to discuss about it: the use of language, the interweaving of new slants on fairy tales and historical events. I'm also keen to find out about any similar novels from any experts out there. The only similar book that occured to me was one called "Lord of the Dance" by Robin Lloyd-Jones, written a long time ago. I like the mixture of modernity and Old English and of poetry and witty dialogue in "The Wordsmith's Tale" more. I suspect I'm biased because I loved the Old English part of my English degree but I think people who don't know a word of OE will still find this brilliant.
Let me get the ball rolling with a specific question: that three-wish penny in it. Is it a metaphor for God . . . you can choose to believe in it or think the events are nothing to do with it but have a rational explanation? The reason I think this is that the narrator (Tom) and his friend Tolland the priest have witty banter throughout about religion.
Last edited by Kate139 on Thu June 9th, 2011, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kate139
Scribbler

Tone of Voice

Post by Kate139 » Fri June 10th, 2011, 9:43 pm

A further thought on this one. The language, as explained in the intro, is based primarily on words "rooted in Old English". Melvyn Bragg explains in his "The Adventure of English" how Churchill used this device to speak directly to the heart. In some novels - but emphatically not here - the use of such words can seem too "mannered" or a bit like reading the AV of the Bible: beautiful but archaic. My theory as to why that isn't so in "The Wordsmith's Tale" is that the author used the voice of the narrator, not the scribe, which makes the whole thing more "chatty", less formal, and gives it "modernity", for want of a better word. The other device is that the author pricks the bubble of any wordy comments with an immediate pithy witticism. I'd be interested in other opinions.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri June 10th, 2011, 11:42 pm

I haven't read this novel, Kate, but it sounds intriguing and as I'm obssessed with the Anglo-Saxons, I may well look for a copy.

The only thing I can think of which might have some remote similarities is an original fantasy book by Blake Charleton called Spellwright, which plays with the concept of language as a source of magical power.

Other writers of fantasy have certainly echoed OE, most notably of course Tolkien, but also Poul Anderson in his novel Broken Sword (though Anderson was more inspired by the Norse saga form) and William Horwood in his Hyddenworld series. Brian Ruckley's Godless World series is based on an Anglo-Saxon world, but OE isn't an obvious inspiration.

Interesting how so much fiction set around the pre-Conquest era is suddenly appearing. I recently read and enjoyed Justin Hill's Shieldwall, which is about the early years of Godwin, future Earl of Wessex. Hill does a great job with period sensibility, and though he doesn't directly use OE (apart from the odd quote) his work is resonant with the subtle undertones of Anglo-Saxon heroic poetry.
Last edited by annis on Fri June 10th, 2011, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephen01
Scribbler

Post by stephen01 » Wed June 22nd, 2011, 3:32 pm

Hello Kate139, Annis and anyone else interested. I wrote the novel, and so I thought it would be fun to answer any questions. Thanks for kind comments. Reader feedback (positive or negative) is what really counts, but positive is best!
Re:questions. Tone of voice always a conundrum. I've tried to balance period voice with readability by adopting conversational style but trying to limit to a more authentic vocabulary. You probably also picked up that I've gone for short sentences throughout. It's something I learned from speech writing. As for the God/Coin idea, I like that and might pretend I intended it in future talks! I suppose I did, in the sense I wanted to leave it ambivalent as to whether or not it really had those powers. For each individual, what they believed was the most important thing (whether their belief was misguided or not). Looking at it again, you're right.

Kate139
Scribbler

Post by Kate139 » Mon July 11th, 2011, 11:33 am

I hope you caught the review in the Times. I imagine your agent, your publisher or you picked it up. If not, you should know that your book is a 'highly entertaining history lesson, and also a compelling attempt to show the crucible of the British collective unconscious; the origins of stories that have lasted more than 1,000 years.'! The review was glowing, but I thought it could have made more of the novel's readability/accessibility, too!!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon July 11th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Following the review in the Times, I've marked this novel down as hopefully a future read for my book group.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon July 11th, 2011, 6:55 pm

I've just received my copy in the mail. Now all i need is the time to read it ...

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Mon July 11th, 2011, 9:32 pm

I just finished this novel today and thoroughly enjoyed it. One which will stay with me for a long time. I'm already badgering others to read it!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon July 11th, 2011, 11:59 pm

I've added it to my list as well. Sounds different and quite interesting.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue July 12th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Now it's on my list too - thanks to Kate139 for posting about it.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “Book Buddies”