Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The American Heiress

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat June 4th, 2011, 11:57 am

I finished. Definitely a light easy read, but I never connected as well as I'd have liked to, and as EC said not as well developed as they could have been. While I didn't expect Cora to be a bad person, I would have thought being raised in the environment that she was she'd have been a bit more savy with some real *street smarts*.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

Post by oldhousejunkie » Thu June 30th, 2011, 8:31 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Trust me they aren't. I mean the fact that she meets him the way she does is just sad. And the fact she was in love with Teddy 10 pages back and then suddenly falls for the Duke? :confused: Hello, what about the other guy you loooovvvvved so much.

She's just kinda there, floating about her new world.[/quote]

I'm getting ready to start this one and the reviews I've read so far have mentioned the lack of character development. Perhaps it is an ironic commentary on the lack of character these types had in the first place? :-)
I blog about all things writing and historical at Caroline Wilson Writes!

I'm also on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads!

Now Available: "Rebel Heart," a romantic historical fiction set in Civil War America and Victorian England.

Available at Amazon

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu June 30th, 2011, 9:47 pm

I just finished reading this a few days ago. Haven't posted a review yet. I enjoyed it. The storyline is basically historical romance, but the writing style is more measured, and more weight is put on the main character's adjustment to the social expectations of British aristocrats than on the romance, which is quite understated. That made it more interesting to me than the usual romance, but readers looking for historical romance might be disappointed. The author has a nice prose style, I thought.

It did not seem like YA to me, even if the main character is in her teens when the story begins.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu June 30th, 2011, 11:05 pm

I wasn't looking for a historical romance; I was looking for a good meaty historical read, perhaps with a romance involved, but psychologically I thought the characters were not the strongest part of the writing.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri July 1st, 2011, 2:25 am

yeah I agree I wasn't looking for historical romance either. I thought i was going to be swallowed up in an interesting time.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Book Buddies”