Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Red Queen by PG

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:23 pm

For those who've read Constant Princess, the phrase about doing "God's will" came up throughout the book.

Having seen Margaret appear in other Tudor novels, I don't think I'll be reading this one.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm

1) Not one mention (by name anyway) of the fishy-water-woman that drove me nuts in the last book.
Thank God.
Well, #3 is somewhat negated by the Joan of Arc channeling thing, to be honest. My head hurts from being hit so often with with it. I'm afraid to count the number of mentions of Joan and how Margaret is doing God's Will.
Might have to make a drinking game of that since we don't have the fishy-woman ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:45 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]That could be problematic. Maybe I should get a recording saying, "Joan of Arc" and "God's will" and listen to it every morning in order to toughen up before August.[/quote]

ha! Like conditioning before a race, LOL. I'm nearing the end now and Margie is a little bit delicious evil.

What can I say? It's better than The White Queen. And you will all be happy to know that the mystery of who killed the Princes has finally been solved on page 284. :eek:

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:47 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Thank God.

Might have to make a drinking game of that since we don't have the fishy-woman ;) [/quote]

Fishy woman is only mentioned by name once so far (the big bad "M" word)....other references include fishy-witchy-river-bitchy phrases. I'm overlooking those.

If we tossed a shot for each reference to God's Will, we'd be dead within the hour. I we chose Joan of Arc, we'd be so drunk by chapter 3 that we'd forget what book we started reading. :D

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:51 pm

[quote=""JMJacobsen""]
2) The cover is gorgeous. No half-head here and Margaret looks appropriately severe.

[/quote]

I am afraid that every time I see the cover, I am reminded of the closing scenes of The Sixth Sense with Actress Toni Colette in the car with Cole. The darned model is a dead ringer for the actress, especially with the polo neck jumper on. The url below is TC looking slightly more glamorous.
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/1999_Th ... se_001.jpg
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 9:26 pm

Crap. Page 313. The dreaded "M" word surfaces at last. Just kill me now.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 9:27 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I am afraid that every time I see the cover, I am reminded of the closing scenes of The Sixth Sense with Actress Toni Colette in the car with Cole. The darned model is a dead ringer for the actress, especially with the polo neck jumper on. The url below is TC looking slightly more glamorous.
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/1999_Th ... se_001.jpg[/quote]

Now that's just downright creepy. Especially since our Margie evidentally sees dead people, too. In the form of Joan.

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 1:39 am

Finished it the day after I got it.

1. Its better than TWQ. Its not too bad.

2. I do not like Margaret Beaufort. In fact, I like her even less now than before I read this.

3. I can only hear about how she's England's Joan of Arc and doing God's will (of course her will is God's, right?!) so many times before I start banging my head against the wall.

4. I actually have no problem with how she portrays R3.
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 1:54 am

She likes to beat people over the head with things, doesnt she. Last book it was the fishy woman, this one its Joan of Arc.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Sat July 24th, 2010, 5:13 pm

I won't be getting my copy for at least another couple of weeks (Why do friends with bookshops go away at such crucial times?!) so I hope the discussion is still running by the time I get mine.

It's a pity Margaret is so unlikable, I was hoping we would somehow get a look at her other side or get some insight into her actions, but it looks like PG has stuck to the tried and true :-( .
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Return to “Book Buddies”