Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Captive Queen by Alison Weir

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
stumpy
Reader

Postby stumpy » Wed July 7th, 2010, 8:36 pm

I've only just seen the list.I could have gone to the Hebden Bridge one ,but its too late and I have not read the book, so why am I writing this???

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat July 10th, 2010, 6:17 pm

I just found Harriet's review on one of her many blogs and thought I'd share.

This is an exciting biographical fiction work of the often told story of kingmaker Eleanor whose ambition to be a royal equal to the kings she married and to those she sired make her a fascinating subject who Alison Weir brings to life in five chorological parts.
Last edited by Misfit on Sat July 10th, 2010, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Sat July 10th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Hmmmmm.... what do you suppose "chorological parts" are? :p

"Psssst Harriet! Did you know that computers have this thing called 'spell-check'?"

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat July 10th, 2010, 8:11 pm

She hasn't time to spell check when she is writing 10 reviews a day . :p
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat July 10th, 2010, 8:22 pm

"Divia" wrote:She hasn't time to spell check when she is writing 10 reviews a day . :p

I think it was like 60 today alone. But she writes them ahead of time you know. :rolleyes:

sharon
Reader

The Captive Queen

Postby sharon » Sun July 18th, 2010, 5:25 pm

You guys are hilariousl--"walking the Appalachian Trail" had me in hysterics. I will not be able to read Weir's opus, afraid my blood pressure couldn't take it. I never recommend her bio of Eleanor to my readers, and tell them to read it with caution, for I've found so many errors; many of them are minor, granted, but why are they there at all? Example, in two pages, she tells us that Joanna forcefully and "very publicly" rejected Brother Richard's suggestion that she wed Saladin's brother al-Adil as part of the peace terms. I don't doubt that Joanna made her feelings known--Richard certainly told al-Adil that. But she did not make a public denunciation, for Richard pulled off an incredible feat--he managed to keep this marriage proposal a secret from his own side. We only know about it today because all three of the contemporary Saracen chronicles mention it in some detail. On the next page, she tells us that the Sarcens called Lionheart "Malik Ric" which is true; she then tells us that it means "Evil Richard." Well, no, actually it means "King Richard."
So when readers ask me for recommendations about Eleanor, I tell them about the Bonnie Wheeler book, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Lord and Lady, an excellent collection of essays by various scholars. I can also recommend a relatively new one, though, about Eleanor, by the British historian Ralph Turner. Earlier in the thread, you were talking about Eleanor's supposed affair with her uncle, Raymond of Antioch; Turner has an excellent discussion of this, pointing out that sexual slander was the way medieval men kept women like Eleaor in their place. I am not saying Turner's bio is error-free; for some reason, he thinks that Henry's father Geoffrey drowned. But I think his book is far more reliable than the Weir bio. As for her fictional foray, I can only quote another writer, Laurel Corona. DO NOT DEFAME THE DEAD. Sharon

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun July 18th, 2010, 5:53 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, but making Sharon laugh makes my day anytime ;)

PS, we've heard some interesting stuff about Cecellia Holland's new book at Goodreads. Might be a nother sex with wimples book :mad:

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Sun July 18th, 2010, 8:22 pm

"sharon" wrote: So when readers ask me for recommendations about Eleanor, I tell them about the Bonnie Wheeler book, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Lord and Lady, an excellent collection of essays by various scholars. I can also recommend a relatively new one, though, about Eleanor, by the British historian Ralph Turner.

Thank you for these recommendations. I don't read all that much about royalty; Eleanor of Aquitaine is one of the few royals who does interest me, but even then I don't read many of the books about her because it seems to me they are pretty much re-treading the same ground over and over. But these books do sound very good!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Mon July 19th, 2010, 12:32 am

The only novel I've read about Eleanor was Jean Plaidy's The Courts of Love. I do have Weir's Eleanor biog on my book shelf.
This past week the "Washington Post: Book World" did a review of the novel.

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Postby robinbird79 » Mon July 19th, 2010, 1:31 am

Misfit has already read it but I have my review posted on Amazon (awaiting nasty comments) and it will post on my blog in the morning.

Bleh. Even the fact that the last few chapters were decent didn't make up for the rest of it.
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Return to “Book Buddies”