Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Captive Queen by Alison Weir

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 1:59 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Here's an interview with Alison Weir that I picked up on Twitter this morning.
Writing the well-researched bodice ripper.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =128671677[/quote]

I read that-- and I have to ask-- is that interview a joke? Please say yes, EC...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 2:06 pm

[quote=""robinbird79""]Oh lord. I can only imagine what she'll come up with as I've heard she hates Richard III.

/facepalm[/quote]

Facepalm indeed. If she sexes it up, who do you think it will be? Richard and Bess?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 2:41 pm

I'm rather looking forward to the Richard III one, with my predilections, but I see she's also doing a biography of Mary Boleyn. How much can one say about her?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 2:56 pm

Gack! I listen to Talk of the Nation all of the time, love Neal Cohen, but somehow missed that interview. Its a good thing I did because I would have been screaming and throwing things at the radio. Oh my. Its obvious that Neal doesn't know much about this subject when he is asking questions about her concentration on Tudor era when the book is about Eleanor of Aquitane!

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 3:20 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Gack! Its obvious that Neal doesn't know much about this subject when he is asking questions about her concentration on Tudor era when the book is about Eleanor of Aquitane![/quote]

I wonder if any of the listeners/callers brought this to his attention?

I missed it, too.... it's been too hot lately for me to be out in my car at lunchtime. Which is probably for the best -- even the "best" talk radio has a tendency to agitate me, much less something like this.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue July 27th, 2010, 7:33 pm

I'm actually reading a book on Eleanor right now, nonfiction though. Amy Kelly's "Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Four Kings", originally written in 1950. I'm really enjoying her style of writing and I don't find it dry at all.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Tue July 27th, 2010, 7:42 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Facepalm indeed. If she sexes it up, who do you think it will be? Richard and Bess?[/quote]

How could she pass up that opportunity? Sigh. But I know I'll have to read it as I have to read everything on Richard...
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue July 27th, 2010, 8:04 pm

[quote=""robinbird79""]How could she pass up that opportunity? Sigh. But I know I'll have to read it as I have to read everything on Richard...[/quote]

Same here. Besides, makes for lively chat over at the R3 group. Brian's observations always get me howling.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue July 27th, 2010, 9:34 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I'm actually reading a book on Eleanor right now, nonfiction though. Amy Kelly's "Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Four Kings", originally written in 1950. I'm really enjoying her style of writing and I don't find it dry at all.SM[/quote]

Thats the book I always recommend. What amazed me is realizing how much of the book I really read via Sharon Kay Penman's trilogies. It is quite a wonderful read.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue July 27th, 2010, 9:56 pm

I have the Amy Kelly on my TBR. The best Eleanor I have read so far in fact is Douglas Boyd - Eleanor of Aquitaine, April Queen, but I have yet to read the Kelly. I have tried and DNF the Weir.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Book Buddies”