Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Captive Queen by Alison Weir

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon July 19th, 2010, 1:49 am

Does the WP reviewer have tongue-in-cheek when she comments that the fault for what most readers seem to feel is quite frankly an awful novel can be laid at Eleanor's feet?

"Who's at fault here? (Because this isn't a very wonderful book.) I think we have to pin the blame on Eleanor. She's a historic figure, so she can't be jolted too far out of that position. We don't know all that much about what she actually did. And who knows what the woman thought? She seems to have preferred her sons to her husband, but it's hard to make a book about that. She spent a lot of her life within prison walls. It's a good thing she had an extensive wardrobe! It's not that the author doesn't know everything about her subject, but that what she knows isn't enough."

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 19th, 2010, 2:22 am

[quote=""robinbird79""]Misfit has already read it but I have my review posted on Amazon (awaiting nasty comments) and it will post on my blog in the morning.

Bleh. Even the fact that the last few chapters were decent didn't make up for the rest of it.[/quote]

The comments on the critical reviews on Amazon have been surprisingly supportive. The only nay-sayers about critical reviews of this or any book are we......elsewhere in blogland.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon July 19th, 2010, 3:08 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I don't know about the rest of you, but making Sharon laugh makes my day anytime ;)

PS, we've heard some interesting stuff about Cecellia Holland's new book at Goodreads. Might be a nother sex with wimples book :mad: [/quote]

I"m more than halfway through Holland's book and so far, theres only really been the one sex scene. The writing is much better though...

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon July 19th, 2010, 3:22 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I"m more than halfway through Holland's book and so far, theres only really been the one sex scene. The writing is much better though...[/quote]

I've had a jest about that scene, but I am interested to read this one. I mostly enjoy Holland's writing and most folk I've spoken to have thought this one is good.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon July 19th, 2010, 6:49 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I've had a jest about that scene, but I am interested to read this one. I mostly enjoy Holland's writing and most folk I've spoken to have thought this one is good.[/quote]

I've almost finished Secret Eleanor. It is quite fun and interesting; I didn't know much about this particular time in Eleanor's life and I really enjoyed Holland's portrayal of Eleanor's sister, Petronilla.

I haven't read Weir's book and wasn't planning to, but I must admit now I'm curious. Is it truly as bad as all that? Just goes to show, sometimes the negative hoopla can work in an author's favor :)
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 19th, 2010, 8:22 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I"m more than halfway through Holland's book and so far, theres only really been the one sex scene. The writing is much better though...[/quote]

That's good to know.

Lucy Pick
Scribbler

Post by Lucy Pick » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:35 am

[quote=""annis""]Does the WP reviewer have tongue-in-cheek when she comments that the fault for what most readers seem to feel is quite frankly an awful novel can be laid at Eleanor's feet?

"Who's at fault here? (Because this isn't a very wonderful book.) I think we have to pin the blame on Eleanor. She's a historic figure, so she can't be jolted too far out of that position. We don't know all that much about what she actually did. And who knows what the woman thought? She seems to have preferred her sons to her husband, but it's hard to make a book about that. She spent a lot of her life within prison walls. It's a good thing she had an extensive wardrobe! It's not that the author doesn't know everything about her subject, but that what she knows isn't enough."[/quote]

Goodness, I hope this was tongue in cheek! Blaming the subject of a novel for a non-wonderful book is really blaming the victim!

In other news, since I last posted in this thread, I am in Oxford now. Since her English career is not my speciality, I had forgotten how much this was Eleanor land. I saw the site of the palace where Richard and John were born, and one day, I walked to Godstow, the abbey where Fair Rosamund lived out her days and was buried. I was struck by how *small* it was. Felt more like a prison than a refuge.

Lastly, I very much second the Wheeler collection for a scholarly account. What we're left with from it, I felt, was how little we know about Eleanor the person. Grist for the novelist. For a more narrative, popular account, I have to admit I still like the old Amy Kelly biography. Yes, it has errors, and yes it ascribes motivations and feelings where we can't know them, but it is an engaging read that captures a medieval mood. Her Eleanor is vivid and fun.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 9:41 am

Here's an interview with Alison Weir that I picked up on Twitter this morning.
Writing the well-researched bodice ripper.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =128671677
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 12:38 pm

I know it's still early here, but did I read correctly she thinks the sex in CQ is good - as in demonstrating sexual chemistry between the two?

As for the next novel on the princes in the tower? Oh dear, and let's all pray she doesn't try to *sex* that one up.

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 1:44 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]

As for the next novel on the princes in the tower? Oh dear, and let's all pray she doesn't try to *sex* that one up.[/quote]

Oh lord. I can only imagine what she'll come up with as I've heard she hates Richard III.

/facepalm
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Return to “Book Buddies”