Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Men on White Horses: A novel about Catherine the Great

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed July 28th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Of course, I'm cognizant that there are "primer" books out there....ones that get you hooked on a time period/location and then, as you continue to read more and more on the subject, you find out that there are better authors with more accurate historical detail.
That's a good way of putting it. I really didn't know much about Catherine or Peter so I found this a great way for learning more without overwhelming, head-spinning details.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu July 29th, 2010, 9:24 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]And EC and Nona have read another book by this author and loved it. No sign of my copy yet.[/quote]

Annette Motley? I've only read My Lady's Crusade and Sins of the Lion. I don't know how far MLC would stand up in today's market but 30 years ago it was an enjoyable romp - not a serious piece of historical fiction but like one of those lush 1950's epic historical films (with a bit more sex, but not OTT).
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 29th, 2010, 9:53 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Annette Motley? I've only read My Lady's Crusade and Sins of the Lion. I don't know how far MLC would stand up in today's market but 30 years ago it was an enjoyable romp - not a serious piece of historical fiction but like one of those lush 1950's epic historical films (with a bit more sex, but not OTT).[/quote]

That's the same one.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 2:27 am

oh how I loved My Lady's Crusade, I know I know I tend to love the ones that other say are average but I really enjoyed it.

Return to “Book Buddies”