Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Kingmaking - Helen Hollick

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
burlgirl
Scribbler

Post by burlgirl » Fri February 12th, 2010, 8:02 pm

:o I sit corrected about the "happen" use in the books. Thanks for telling me it actually is used. I've ordered the 2nd book from the library, so now that I know that, I don't think it'll irritate me as much.

I had forgotten to add earlier that I, also, love that there is no magic in this series - at least so far! One of the reasons I liked Jack Whyte's books so much is because I could see it happening that way. Add in magic and we are in another "universe" altogether.

Also, I really, really liked that Arthur's children are mentioned. In perusing the (and I'm going to mangle this name since I'm not sure how it is really spelled) Mabinogen, I had noticed that Arthur had children mentioned, beyond Mordred. I really like that they are being brought into the story instead of being ignored like everyone else has!

Return to “Book Buddies”