Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vainglory by Geraldine McCaughrean

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun September 27th, 2009, 2:37 am

Posted by Ash
Wonder when and why the areas were later became seperate fields.
From about the mid-16tth century, with the scientific revolution which marked the point where scientific study moved away from ancient tradition towards what we now see as modern science.

"By the time of Francis Bacon and the scientific revolution, newly emerging scientific disciplines acquired a method of systematic empirical induction based upon experimental observations.At this point, astrology and astronomy began to diverge; astronomy became one of the central sciences while astrology was increasingly viewed as an occult science or superstition by natural scientists. This separation accelerated through the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries." (Wikipedia)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun September 27th, 2009, 3:33 am

Misfit, i should point out that nowhere have I seen GM actually say that she based Gloriole on Chambord, but the similarities seem too great to ignore. One of the de Glorioles- can't remember which one (Thibault perhaps? He was certainly barking by the end!) - even tried to divert the Sablois River to surround the château in a move extremely reminiscent of Francis' attempt to do the same thing with the Loire at Chambord.

"Francis' original grandiose idea was to divert the Loire to form a moat, but someone (perhaps his adviser, Leonardo da Vinci, who some feel may have provided the inspiration behind the entire complex) persuaded him to make do with the River Cosson."
Last edited by annis on Sun September 27th, 2009, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 27th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Ash, I think it was Annis mentioned Chambord. I honestly don't know much about the history of the castle, but the similarities are rather interesting. Wish the author would stop by and visit us....
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat December 5th, 2009, 12:08 am

I found my copy of Vainglory! So now I am actually going to finish the book. (I'm about 2/3rds through)

Return to “Book Buddies”