Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 13th, 2009, 12:00 am

Give it a bit more, but don't kill yourself. Any chemistry I picked up between the two was in the first few chapters. Then it's all "bed wife" (and no juicy details either).
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue October 13th, 2009, 2:32 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Give it a bit more, but don't kill yourself. Any chemistry I picked up between the two was in the first few chapters. Then it's all "bed wife" (and no juicy details either).[/quote]

LOL you do have a point about that! He does say that often. But then again they had like 20 kids...well maybe not but it seemed like she was preggers her entire adult life.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 13th, 2009, 11:53 am

[quote=""Divia""]LOL you do have a point about that! He does say that often. But then again they had like 20 kids...well maybe not but it seemed like she was preggers her entire adult life.[/quote]

Therein lies the problem - Edward marrying someone below him like Elizabeth (King's are supposed to marry for dynastic reasons aren't they?), plus all those kids you would expect some sizzle and sexual chemistry but it just isn't there.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat January 2nd, 2010, 10:49 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Therein lies the problem - Edward marrying someone below him like Elizabeth (King's are supposed to marry for dynastic reasons aren't they?), plus all those kids you would expect some sizzle and sexual chemistry but it just isn't there.[/quote]

Really good review of TWQ up at the Book Blog of Evil, and it addresses exactly this point. Warning, though, there are spoilers.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 2nd, 2010, 11:02 pm

Thanks for sharing that. She's spot on in her assessment.

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Thu March 25th, 2010, 10:15 am

I have just started reading it yesterday evening and haven't come far yet. I know PG isn't too good on the facts, but she tends to write well.
My only issue with the book so far is the witchcraft bit. It hasn't been acknowledged as a certain fact and so it annoys me it takes up such a big part in the book. I'll see how the rest of the book is, I am curious about Elizabeth's relationship with Edwards brothers.....

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Mon March 29th, 2010, 11:28 am

I have finally finished the book. I didn't think it was very good. It was one of the first books where I did not gain some kind of sympathy or understanding for the main character at all.
Besides not being too well written, the witchcraft bit and the repeating started to get very annoying after a while. i don't think i will buy the Red Queen

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 5:51 pm

I've finished this book and I did very much enjoy it, I found it a page turner! I thought the voice was very compelling and I liked the magical element with regard to 'Melusina'. I sometimes like a bit of fantasy and it is, at the end of the day, a work of fiction - a little bit of fact combined with a lot of imagination.

I didn't find Elizabeth Woodville such a bad person as she is usually painted. She seemed to have been a bit more sympathetically portrayed. It was interesting that PG went along the lines that one of the princes was 'exchanged' - I suppose we will never know what really happened. One of life's mysteries which will always fascinate. And what a way to go...... drowned in a vat of wine!! :eek: I know that's hearsay, too, but just the thought of it.....

I look forward to reading The Red Queen to see what I make of that.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Gretchen Craig
Scribbler

Post by Gretchen Craig » Wed March 9th, 2011, 11:32 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Therein lies the problem - Edward marrying someone below him like Elizabeth (King's are supposed to marry for dynastic reasons aren't they?), plus all those kids you would expect some sizzle and sexual chemistry but it just isn't there.[/quote]

This is what I object to about PG. Not just the missing sexual chemistry, but the skillful use of emotion on the page to evoke emotion in the reader. I guess I'm guilty of wishing she'd write her books the way I write mine, which of course is pointless. However, I do agree the book is dry.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue July 19th, 2011, 4:14 am

When it comes to the White Queen what spoilt it for me is the entire magical aspect, this is only my personal taste but I found the whole doing spells rather annoying and unbelievable. I was a little bit disappointed in it and still feel Philippa's best books is TOBG.

As for the Other Queen, I don't know why PG chose the least interesting time in Queen Mary's life where she is imprisoned albiet in a castle. The most interesting time of Mary's life surely would be in France and then her travails in Scotland? But I suppose PG has her reasons.

I am looking forward to 'The Cousins War' and 'Lady of the Rivers'.

Best wishes

Bec :)

Return to “Book Buddies”