Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Group Story: A tale most cliche

A member-written collaborative effort. Feel free to join in and see where it goes!
Kate139
Scribbler

Post by Kate139 » Mon May 30th, 2011, 12:25 pm

... became aware of the pounding of his heart. Shocked, he realised that the excitement of seeing those beautiful maidens was as nought compared to the thrilling thought of speaking to the man who approached. Here was something new, more powerful even than those feelings of love he'd always felt for his mother and his horse. This was ...

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon May 30th, 2011, 6:15 pm

the perfect tenor for his new musical production of Le Morte D'Arthur. And now that he thought of it, the two maidens could take the female leads. Now if only he could find a baritone, his fortune would be made.

"Worthy gentleman, and fair maidens, of course," he bowed to the trio. "I have been searching for voices as heavenly as yours for some time. Please do me the honor of starring in my hit musical."

Sure of his own charm and persuasive powers, the prince was shocked by their answer.

Kate139
Scribbler

Post by Kate139 » Tue May 31st, 2011, 8:04 am

The first to speak was the newly-arrived horse.
"It would be an honour," he said, in his rich, melodious voice.
"Not so fast," the man astride him said in a piping voice. "We have been bewitched, my horse and I. While he now sings with great beauty, I have been given his voice. Only the kiss of a pure maiden can reverse this."
The two young women looked up, awkwardly. The man whinnied.
"Fear not," said Prince Gorgeous. "I may have the weak and feeble mind of a man, but inside I have the heart of a maiden."
He dismounted and strode forward to kiss the magnificent horse.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue May 31st, 2011, 1:35 pm

"Not so fast." The horse intoned. "I'm not that kind of equine."
"Don't be ridiculous." His rider piped up. "What do you want him to do, buy you dinner first?"
The simple peasant maid joined the conversation at this juncture. "Actually I think he has a point. At least tell him your name, my lord."
The prince scuffed a toe in the dirt. "Oh very well. I am Prince Gorgeous of Modelland."
"I've always wanted to visit Modelland." said the maiden in the tower. "Is it true they have all you can eat lettuce?"

Kate139
Scribbler

Post by Kate139 » Tue May 31st, 2011, 1:43 pm

"No," replied Prince Gorgeous. "That's just a vicious rumour. You can eat all manner of things. I, myself, have partaken of cabbage, spinach and brocolli, too. All manner of green foods are in plentiful supply. I once heard tell of someone grappling with a cucumber. Furthermore, my horse has eaten many a cream-coloured, oat-based meal in his time."
At the mention of oats, the rider with the whinnying, bewitched voice spoke up.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon June 6th, 2011, 8:03 pm

"Oats!" gasped Wilhelmina rapturously, and clutching her still-unfinished needlework tighter to her chest, "Oh how lovely! I have always wanted to sew wild oats!"

At this the horse gave a low, lecherous chuckle.

The prince snorted and tossed his head.
Last edited by Michy on Tue June 7th, 2011, 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kate139
Scribbler

Post by Kate139 » Thu June 9th, 2011, 4:22 pm

"I'm now utterly confused by this love hexagon," said Prince Gorgeous. "I've been involved in love triangles aplenty but I'm feeling utterly out of my depth. Somebody help me, please. Somebody suggest a way to end this whole sorry tangle so that we can all get out of here in one piece and all live happily ever after."

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu June 9th, 2011, 4:53 pm

"Hexagon?" asked Wilhelmina, confusion in her limpid blue eyes, "What is a hexagon?"

Suddenly there was a rustle in the bushes nearby and a low, throaty laugh as an old, withered crone emerged. "Did I hear someone say 'hexagon'?" she asked, her fathomless black eyes alight and alert beneath heavy brows, and a note of pleasure in her raspy voice. "Oh, my pretty, I know all about hexagons and hexes. What would you like me to do?"

Kate139
Scribbler

Post by Kate139 » Thu June 9th, 2011, 7:49 pm

"We need you to untie this Gordian knot of a knotty romantic problem," Prince Gorgeous explained.
"Please don't refer to me as a problem," spat Gordon the horse.
"ENOUGH OF THIS NONSENSE!" screeched the crone, who, taking matters into her owns hands, then ...

Kate139
Scribbler

Post by Kate139 » Fri June 10th, 2011, 12:38 pm

... grabbed what was frankly a rather unimpressive wand and shook it violently, pointing it at each of the six members of the love hexagon in turn.
"Ouch. Will you stop doing that," Gorgeous winced.
Then Gordon the horse spoke up.
"It's worked," he gasped. He turned to the other horse, who said...

Return to “Group Story”