Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Group Story: Bride

A member-written collaborative effort. Feel free to join in and see where it goes!
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Group Story: Bride

Post by Margaret » Sun June 28th, 2009, 4:55 pm

The bride wore black, for she was still in mourning, but a glance was sufficient to reveal her purpose in marrying. The groom ...
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Sun June 28th, 2009, 7:53 pm

...wore a smug expression that showed he didn't care who he married, so long as she came with a lot of land and money. This was quite a good catch for a man with his...

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun June 28th, 2009, 8:32 pm

...crippling and very visible disfigurement. He carried it like a badge of honour, for never would he forget the day he lost his....

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Sun June 28th, 2009, 8:40 pm

....pedigree. From a poor and seedy background, his one attribute was to be extraordinarily good-looking, a fact which, in itself, the priest thought, explained the rapturous look his wife-to-be was giving him. The priest stuttered over the ceremonial marital questions, a feeling growing within him that all was not ...........

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Sun June 28th, 2009, 8:42 pm

[quote=""keny from prague""]...crippling and very visible disfigurement. He carried it like a badge of honour, for never would he forget the day he lost his....[/quote]

OOps! I posted mine at the exact time Keny posted his! Take your pick!

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun June 28th, 2009, 9:24 pm

(from Keny) ... best comrade-in-arms in an agonizing death on the dueling field under the sword of the very man his bride now grieved for and who had caused his own disfigurment in a treachorous turn by ....
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Wed July 1st, 2009, 6:27 pm

It was unusual, Brother Amalric thought, watching the trio, for a bride to give such adoring glances to a man with such an appalling disfigurement. The duelling sword had sliced through young Roderic's left eyebrow, barely missing his eye, and carved a deep furrow into his cheek. Nor had the wound healed well. It remained red and inflamed and would, Amalric was sure, leave a prominent scar even when completely healed. It was unusual, further, for a bride of such aristocratic background not to resent the grasping designs of an unpedigreed upstart like Roderic (however promising his beginning in life), who was so obviously uninterested in her person. It was even more unusual for a priest to glower so over a couple before the altar. But ignorant as Amalric was about the motives that had driven this couple together, he knew one extraoardinary detail that he did not believe either the priest or anyone else in the world, saving perhaps the bride and groom themselves, was aware.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu August 20th, 2009, 6:10 pm

Though the bride wore black, she was not truly a widow. Her husband....

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu August 20th, 2009, 9:12 pm

was still alive, fighting to regain his freedom and his memory in the far-off land of...

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Thu August 20th, 2009, 11:02 pm

the Crimea, where he had been left for dead on the battlefield.

Return to “Group Story”