Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Group Story: Bride

A member-written collaborative effort. Feel free to join in and see where it goes!
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun September 27th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Alicia barely noticed Roderic's grip on her arm. She knew, suddenly, why the friar had looked so familiar to her. Except for his monk's tonsure and the deep lines scored upon his face, he might have been the twin of her old nursemaid. But why would he have tried to stop her wedding? She remembered the last time she had seen her beloved nursemaid.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun October 4th, 2009, 8:26 pm

"Eat your porridge, lass."

Alicia pouted. "I don't like porridge."

"Like it or no, your mother said. And it's good for you besides."

The little girl tilted her head to one side. "I'll eat it...if you tell me the story again."

The nurse regarded her charge with a critical eye. The girl was too canny by half. But what could it hurt to tell her a story she'd already heard? She sank down in resignation across the table from the child, and began her tale. "It all started a long time ago, well before you were born..."

"A little girl called Rosebud..."

"Don't interrupt!" she reprimanded Alicia. "A little girl called Rosebud was playing in front of her parents' cottage..."

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon October 5th, 2009, 5:21 am

amid the balmy air of early fall. All around her, the birds were singing. A ginger cat was stalking a mouse in the herb bed, and - what do you know! - up rode a man on a beautiful chestnut gelding. Lord Featherstone it was, such a kind, generous man. He took Baby Rosebud up on the horse with him, and ..."

"Baby Amelia, you said once."

"Who's telling this story? You or me?"

Alicia remembered this, because she had always wondered, childishly, what had happened to Amelia, the girl who had also been called Rosebud and who Lord Featherstone had taken home with him in the story. For she had been his only daughter, doted on by the lord and his lady alike, and no foundling by the name of Amelia had ever joined them. It was only a story, she knew. But now, with the memory of her nursemaid freshly awakened by the shocking death of the friar, she remembered how unimaginative her nursemaid had always been in other respects. And she began to wonder. Could it be no more than coincidence that the friar had resembled her so strongly? What if ...
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Group Story”