Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Andrea's 2009 Reading Log

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sat June 27th, 2009, 2:15 pm

I finished the Winter Mantle on Thursday night and absolutely loved it! Another amazing book by EC.

I am now reading Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks and am enjoying it thus far. It is a different style from most of the other HF that I have read, but it is interesting so far.

Added to the TBR list APBC and Blood Royal. At this time, the TBR list that I own is getting quite large and there is much more on my wishlist. I think that I will need to retire tomorrow in order to get them all read! :D

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Mon June 29th, 2009, 11:25 pm

I finished Year of Wonders and did really enjoy it. I was surprised at the end to find out the hero wasn't as amazing as I thought he was. I was actually horrified at his treatment of his wife. It was really well written and was totally different than anything I have written. It spoke to how differently we all cope with crises and how we change as a result of it.

I have now started The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer. This has been on my TBR pile for about 6 months now and is my first Heyer book. I am only 1 chapter in and enjoying it already!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue June 30th, 2009, 12:14 am

If you are on Goodreads this is an upcoming group read if you want to mosey over and discuss it. Thread here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Wed July 8th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Thanks Misfit! I just joined GoodReads.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Wed July 8th, 2009, 11:43 pm

I finished The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer last night and really, really enjoyed it. I would rate this a 5/5 and would definitely read other works by Heyer.

I have now started Blood Royal. I have always wanted to read more about Catherine Valois as she was the mother of Henry VI. I love the period deemed "the war of the roses" and would like to learn more about the key figures in it such as Henry VI. I am hoping that this novel lives up to my expectations.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Tue July 21st, 2009, 9:08 am

I have now finished Blood Royal and did enjoy it. It was an interesting story about Owain Tudor and Catherine of Valois. It started with Owain's first meeting of Catherine in Paris prior to her marriage to Henry V and ended in their eventual marriage. I am not sure how accurate the story is as to how they actually ended up being allowed to marry, however, it did make for a great read!

I have now started August's book of the month, Company of Liars.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Mon July 27th, 2009, 6:40 pm

I finished Company of Liars and really enjoyed this. This novel was a little different from my normal preferences, but I did enjoy it none the less.

It really is about strangers meeting during the Plague during the reign of Edward III. They are all liars, thus the title. I won't discuss too much about the novel as there already is a good review on the site for this book. I really liked the little surprise ending too!

I have now started A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick and I know that I will love this one!

I also have a couple of holds on books at the library, so hopefully these will come in!

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 1:02 am

This just figures! As soon as I start APBC, all of my requests (6) come in to the Library within a couple of days of each other.

So, I have finished The Devil's Queen by Jeanne Kalogridis and have now started both Edward VI The Lost King of England by Chris Skidmore and A Secret Alchemy be Emma Darwin. I also have The Daughter of Time, The Gabriel Hounds, Brethren and Viking, Odin's Child. I have only 3 weeks to complete this list before they are due back.

The Devil's Queen was a good summer read. The story was about Caterina de' Medici, Henri II of France's queen. The story began with her childhood and being a captive of Charles V of Spain during the time in which he became known as the Holy Roman Emperor. It then moves to her early years of marriage with Henri, his relationship with Diane de Poitiers and the supposed black magic used by Catherine though out her marriage to conceive children and then to keep her family safe. Her later years are spent guiding her children in their ruling of France and keeping France safe and from civil war.

I didn't know how I would feel about the astrology and black magic littered through out this novel, but I actually found it intriguing and entertaining. It's an enjoyable read, but going it to it one has to keep in mind that it is what it is and enjoy it for the entertaining read that it is.

I am struggling through my latest read A Secret Alchemy, but will keep at it a little while longer before I call it a wall banger! :) Quite honestly, I am enjoying the non-fiction book about Edward VI more than A Secret Alchemy.
Andrea

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 1:09 am

I'm also trying to read "Alchemy" and finding it a little depressing, I prefer the stuff in the past then Una's section. I'm going to give it a little bit more before I decide to wallbang it or not.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sun August 16th, 2009, 8:33 pm

SM - Glad to hear that I am not the only one having issues with this book. I often find it hard when an author uses 3 different people at the same time to tell a story. I didn't feel it worked in PGs the Other Queen and I definitely don't feel that it worked for this story.

I was looking forward to this novel, hoping for more insight or plausible theories about the princes in the tower, but I have met nothing but disappointment.

I seriously should have wall banged this one last week, but I hate to quit and was thinking perhaps more would come of the book, but it didn't.

Personally, this book was just an okay read and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone! To think that I put aside APBC for this!

I have just finished it today and started Tey's The Daughter of Time and am more than half way through that one. What an improvement! ;)
Andrea

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”