Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Red805's 2009 books

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Mon September 7th, 2009, 11:10 pm

The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis - 4/5. I'm tired of England, so I've been in France & Italy most recently. I enjoyed this story of Sancha of Aragon from Naples who married into the infamous Borgia family. I'd be interested in reading more about this period of the late? Renaissance.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Mon September 7th, 2009, 11:15 pm

Mistress of the Game by Tilly Bagshawe - definitely not historical fiction, in fact the story goes into the future, although not in any kind of outlandish way. Based on Sidney Sheldon's Master of the Game, which I have not read, I believe this sequel is the first authorized by his estate to follow up on his previous novels. It was definitely a page-turner, & I interrupted another book to finish this. Fun beach reading for the end of summer.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Wed September 9th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown - 4.5/5 stars for me. I was up until 5 am finishing it! Just prepping for his new one & thought I'd rip through this, which I did. This one was a bit more down to earth than DaVinci or, especially, Angels & Demons. No albino self-flagellating Opus Dei villians; well maybe a distant cousin ;) Anyway, typical Brown fast-paced non-stop action which was lots of fun.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Sat September 19th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon - 2/5 stars - Had to go back & read the original after reading the sequel authorized by his estate. Beach read, but seems less memorable than his other book I've read long ago - The Other Side of Midnight.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Sat September 19th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Finished the audio book Playing for Pizza by John Grisham - 2/5 stars for me. The main character was so dull that it detracted from his good descriptions of the football action & preparations. Got a bit of a tour guide to Italy, but it just seemed flat.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun September 20th, 2009, 11:07 pm

[quote=""red805""]Finished the audio book Playing for Pizza by John Grisham - 2/5 stars for me. The main character was so dull that it detracted from his good descriptions of the football action & preparations. Got a bit of a tour guide to Italy, but it just seemed flat.[/quote]

I found this to be a terrible disappointment of a book too. I kept wanting something more to happen or something, anything, to give the story some momentum.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Tue September 22nd, 2009, 2:13 am

[quote=""Telynor""]I found this to be a terrible disappointment of a book too. I kept wanting something more to happen or something, anything, to give the story some momentum.[/quote]

You know Telynor, I haven't read a Grisham in years, but I certainly expected more too. And if the main character ever spoke more than two or three monosyllabic words in a row I don't remember :confused:

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue September 22nd, 2009, 4:42 am

[quote=""red805""]You know Telynor, I haven't read a Grisham in years, but I certainly expected more too. And if the main character ever spoke more than two or three monosyllabic words in a row I don't remember :confused: [/quote]

And isn't that sad? It was just such a disappointment of a read, as we never really did learn anything about the main character, except that he was a has-been footballer, who manages to find he likes Italy and Italian food, but doesn't really grow in any other way.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Sat October 24th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran - Such an interesting subject & time, and with characters that I already knew a little bit about (some of them). I wished that this book was directed more at an adult audience, with less romance & more politics, but I enjoyed it, & would like to know more about the people surrounding Augustus.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Mon November 16th, 2009, 8:10 pm

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown - Usual rollarcoaster of fun mix of cottoncandy & philosophy from Mr. Brown. There's something so easy about a book with one-page-long chapters. I think I liked this better than The DaVinci Code. It was the perfect book to take my mind off some stressful issues that were keeping me up at night. But, come on - isn't Robert Langdon ever going to get a girlfriend?

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”