Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Red805's 2009 books

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
red805
Reader

Red805's 2009 books

Post by red805 » Sat February 14th, 2009, 7:19 am

The Far Pavillions by M.M. Kaye - 4.5/5 - Swept me away into a world I'd never even thought to visit. A long, memorable trip through India. Although set in the late 1800s, it bridged time with it's vivid characters speaking to current affairs with it's last act in Afghanistan. An engaging introduction to non-Western attitudes from an English writer who lived in India.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat February 14th, 2009, 9:59 am

I really wish that my library had this book so I could reread it too.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Sat February 14th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Yes, it was wonderful. But at about 1000 pages it means I only have 1 book for 2009 so far ;) This book would be a great one to take on a 2-week cruise.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 14th, 2009, 6:17 pm

I love MM Kaye, although I haven't tried her historical mysteries (not really my bag). Shadow of the Moon and Trade Wind are good as well.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Sat February 14th, 2009, 11:46 pm

Yes Misfit, I'd definitely like to read those two. Are they also 1000-page tomes? Having just one book on my 2009 list, and it being already half way through February, means I need to read a bunch of very short books now to look semi-respectable among all you voracious readers :) I would hate to have to retitle this thread Red805's 2009 book!
Last edited by red805 on Sat February 14th, 2009, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 15th, 2009, 12:22 am

Red, not quite so big. They're good sized books but more in the 500-600 range, depending on if you get your hands on a hardback or mass market paperback.

BTW, if you do enjoy Shadow of the Moon and would like to read more on the Sepoy Rebellion try to get your hands on Zemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald. Kaye's book retells it from the outside of the Lucknor Residency, Fitzgerald from the inside. I loved her style, she so reminded me of Bronte and Jane Eyre (including a not-drop-dead-gorgeous hero and heroine).

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Wed February 18th, 2009, 5:13 am

Thanks Misfit. It's a good thing I'm not logging all the books I'd like to read this year. Not enough room here!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 18th, 2009, 1:28 pm

[quote=""red805""]Thanks Misfit. It's a good thing I'm not logging all the books I'd like to read this year. Not enough room here![/quote]

Red, I know the feeling. Check out Goodreads, you can shelve all the books you want and in your own categories as well as the pre-set categories they have. Thus, you can tag something "to read", and then click on that shelf and see what you've got. I use my Amazon wish list for that as well.

What I really like about goodreads is the friends network. You open up the main GR page and you see what your friends are reading and/or marking to read, etc. I pick up a lot of book ideas that way.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Wed February 25th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Portrait of an Unknown Woman audiobook by Vanora Bennett - 2/5 stars - Where to start with this imagined life of Thomas More's adopted daughter Meg Giggs.... Well, let's just say you won't believe who she married. Just slightly more believable (maybe) is her relationship with painter Hans Holbein who painted the well-known portrait of Henry VIII, and also painted a family portrait of the Mores. The most interesting part of the book for me was the author's explanation of the composition of Holbein's paintings - it sent me right to Wikipedia to look up more on the artist. But I was very frustrated with the main characters' inconsistancy, and I just couldn't get over who Meg married.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Wed February 25th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama - 4.5/5 stars - As Scott Turow says in his back jacket recommendation "Beautifully crafted...moving and candid...this book belongs on the shelf beside works like James McBride's The Color of Water and Gregory Howard William's Life on the Color Line as a tale of living astride America's racial categories." I loved it, although I did get a little confused by all the family members on Obama's father's side. I'm thinking it's probably one of the most thoughtful and honest autobiographies you'll see from a politician, although it ends before he enters law school. I highly recommend this touching and lyrical book.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”