Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

EMR book list 2009

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Wed July 8th, 2009, 9:12 pm

July 2009

65. Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson
Although I did like the fantasy I can't say why I find her style of writing a little cold. It failed to touch me.

66. Ruso and the Demented Doctor by Ruth Downie
I love this so non romantic medicus who doesn't trust women and doesn't understand them not even from his medical pov but still feels miserable when Tilla isn't around. Amusing book.

67. A Plague on Both Your Houses by Susanna Gregory
This book should be titled The Last Man Standing :D I didn't choose the book after Ruso on purpose but I see some similarities between them like the crazy doctor... Easy read.

68. The King's Gambit by John Maddox Roberts
Nice lesson in roman society and classes. Nothing wrong with the book but I was a little bored with all the politics. I think I'll pass on the rest of this series.

69. The Apothecary Rose by Candace Robb
A little predictable.

70. Lady of Light and Shadows by C.L. Wilson
I find it better than the first book. Still leaves plenty of loose ends. I prefer series with an end for each book and not this dragging poor fellows in captivity and dispair from one book to the next. I guess she plans to go on forever writing about these characters.

71. The Best of Men by Claire Letemendia
This book is about an honest man who is trying to do the right thing with very bad luck. But he is a hunk so at least he isnt unlucky with women. Just jocking. These are the adventures of an ex soldier who has seen enough destruction to not want to get involved with the incoming civil war (british cw) I think the characters are well constructed, the background is very realistic where she describes real people lifes. I like that she doesnt stick to one person but she offers the other (bad guys?) thoughts as well. In the big puzzle I'd have liked Kate's thoughts as well since she is so quiet and somehow pasive. Being the first of a trilogy it can be read on its own. Very good read.

72. Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt
I read this 10 days ago and already I'm thinking "what was this about?" lol Fine for a rainy evening.

73. The Swann Maiden by Jules Watson
Ah this book has a wild beauty. I think JW has a way to project in words images of the intensity of a grafic novel, colorful and artistic to draw the eye to the details. Quite sad novel.

74. The White Raven by Diana L. Paxson
Well this book loses part of its charming when compared back to back with The Swann Maiden. It narrates the story of Tristan and Isolde from the point of view of her cousin and companion Branwen and how the king Marc'h involuntarily marries both of them in the same night and the consecuences of it. Isolde is portrayed as selfish and vindictive which make you feel so much sorry for the fate of Tristan. Not as good as TSM but interesting pov.
Last edited by emr on Tue August 4th, 2009, 11:59 am, edited 5 times in total.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Tue August 4th, 2009, 9:24 am

August 2009

75. Persona Non Grata by Ruth Downie.
This is the 3rd novel about the medicus Ruso to be titled prolly something completelly different and confusing in the british edition. This time Ruso goes back home and soon there is a dead man at his feet. The problem is everybody thinks he did it. :D Again a good book like the first two. I look forward to many more Ruso and Tilla adventures.

76. A Knight in Shinning Armour by Jude Deveraux
I can only think a bunch of negative commentaries about this book but still I have enjoyed it. First I dont think everybody in the 1500s was either utherly poor and dirty or indecently rich. Second, all of them seem to act as 5 year old kids. Wait, I've seen more brain in a 5 year old!. Third, this Dougless is a woman with only one thought in her brain: she wants to get married and doesnt seem to care to whom as far as he proposes. (I cant figure out why cause she likes kids but that doesnt seem to be the motive) Since that doesnt happen she spends all her time crying non stop. And she cries so much that a hunk from the 16th century comes back to her to ask her "whats wrong with you?" Yet again a man she cant marry. :D So she starts showing him the 20th century (in the 80s) and demonstrates that they can change history although not exactly with the right consecuences. Lalala I wont spoil it but in the end the author gives an explanation of the other characters psyches which is fine in the general fantasy of the novel but drives you to ask why there wasnt a Dougless version of herself born in the 16th century. A page turner if you can stand childish behaviour.

77. Martyr by Rory Clements
While reading this book I kept remembering The Day of The Jackal by Frederick Forsyth, not because its that good, but because it sounds so similar. And their entire behaviour during the investigation sounds so modern. (Warn surgeons and apothecaries about a man with a gun shot?) Nice touch the Will Shakespeare cameo.

78. Blood Red Roses by Katherine Deauxville
A half welsh woman is forced to marry a very violent and jelous norman knight. The book is about their learning to trust each other. Not much love in there.

79. The Face of a Stranger by Anne Perry
Interesting exercise to learn about the main character at the same pace that he learns about himself. Good mystery novel.

80. The Phoenix in Flight by Sherwood Smith and Dave Trowbridge
Space opera, first of 5 books (Exordium)

81. El Secreto de la Reina Persa (The Secret of the Persian Queen) by Esther Bendahan
This is an author of sephardi origins and writes about The Book of Esther (see Bible) The cover misleads you a little since I was expecting something more romantic. But more than love this is a book about losses and loneliness. A shame the 3-4 gramatical errors per page.

82. Game of Patience by Susanne Alleyn
I like how she comes around at the end to close all the loose ends. The solution was unexpected. Good mystery. Nice insight in people's personalities.

83. The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin
I hadnt read a russian author for years so I had forgotten how they love tragedy. O. M. G. Akunin is a great storyteller. In the old sense. You can hear the old voice and smell some old book by the fire. Escellent.

84. Ruler of Naught by Sherwood Smith and Dave Trowbridge
Exordium #2

85. Death Comes as Epiphany by Sharan Newman
Fine as mystery book, a little shy in the romantic part. There is no tension building up.
Last edited by emr on Wed September 2nd, 2009, 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Tue September 15th, 2009, 4:32 pm

September 2009

86. Sophia's Secret by Susanna Kearsley
These books where there are two different people at different times I have a tendency to skip parts of one of the stories and enjoy more the other.
In this case both kept me reading and loved it from start to end. Great book.

87. Cut to the Quick by Kate Ross (Kestrel, #1)
All these characters being pursued by Julian Krestels curiosity and inability to let go give me a claustrophobic feeling. Good start for the series.

88. The Devil in Music by Kate Ross (Kestrel, #4)
And this is a great end for the series. The last 100 pages were exciting and revealing. Great characterization of the italian society and manners. A shame there is not more of these Kestrel mysteries.

89. The Complaint of the Dove by Hannah March (Robert Fairfax, #1)
I like the psychological point of view of the tutor Fairfax when trying always the best way to teach his charge. The mystery itself was k.

90. Iacobus by Matilde Asensi
Pope John XXII is worried about Molay's curse and about the end of the templars treasures and sends a man, the Perquisitore to investigate. A real page turner.

91. Peregrinatio by Matilde Asensi
This is a revised (shorter) version of the original book. It's the Way of St James as initiation instrument for a young knight. Nice to tie ends of Iacobus but unnecessary imo.
Last edited by emr on Tue October 20th, 2009, 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Tue October 20th, 2009, 10:47 pm

October 2009

92. Lite by Diane Lacombe
Prolly half the reason why I didnt like this book is because I hated every word of the translation. And its disappointing in the end.

93. El caballero de Alcántara by Jesús Sánchez Adalid
It's a nice adventure of a knight spying for Felipe II but written in an style almost childish. As if addressed to young readers. Not bad anyway.

94. El sicario de los Idus by Cristina Teruel
The author of this book is a judge and I was curious to see if you can tell from how she writes. Oh yes, you can. (And not positively) I finished it only cause I hate to make comments about books I havent finished to the last page, but the murderer was obvious since page 30 or so, so not much fun and no depth in any character. Boring.

95. The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley
Contemporary story with old ghosts walking the prairie. Absorbing.... And David in a kilt... hm... :D

96. The Mistletoe and Sword by Anya Seton
Nice novel with adventures and romance and a bit of fantasy. An all ages read.

97. The Secret Lion by C.W. Gortner
Good mystery book. I felt sorry for the young Dudley :]
Last edited by emr on Sat November 14th, 2009, 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
— Frank Zappa

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat November 14th, 2009, 7:01 pm

November 2009

I've slowed down...

98. Inés de Portugal by João Aguiar.
A book about Ines de Castro, the mistress of Pedro I of Portugal who gave him 4 children and got killed by order of Afonso IV, starting for this reason a civil war between father and son. In the book, Pedro I has captured the killers and has to make a decision, a compromise of pride, promises, honor, love and hate. He and his counsellor remember the past and fear the present. The final decision, although bloody and savage is a perfect hint of how he felt. I've loved it. Wonder if there are more books about Pedro I. A king with a temper, many enemies, bisexual...

99. Murder in the Holy City by Simon Beaufort
Only a so-so mystery. Nothing special to note about it.

100. The Alehouse Murders by Maureen Ash
I do like the character of de Marins, a templar with doubts about his future. The mystery part was fine.

101. Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
Well, it was fun to read this romance although I didnt bite all that necessity of love coming from the supposed lord of scoundrels. He seems to me too soft for the title.

102. City of the Dead by Ian Morson
I did like this one. The mystery may be similar to others and no difficult to spot, but what I eally did like was the "voice" of the narrator. He talks in a realistic way, skipping the parts that would compromise him etcetera. Looking forward to more books like this.

103. Falconer's Crusade by Ian Morson
The title is misleading since this is a mystery set in Oxford with students and jews involved with the general animosity of the city againts them. It was fine.
Last edited by emr on Mon December 14th, 2009, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Frank Zappa

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Mon December 14th, 2009, 9:47 pm

December 2009

104. Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem
This is probably the best book I've read this year. A fictional roman general defends the last rests of the roman empire frontier. He is very capable, a good example of how those legions must have been in the good times of the roman empire. But he is the last. Literally. "If only the ice had broken.." Every page of the book pours sadness. Wonderful.

105. Death in the Dark Walk by Deryn Lane
This book has some distracting details like those "moving eyebrows" that make me think constantly of a doctor who cartoon. It didnt get to interest me too much.

106. The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin
Delicious. I think the author has managed to reflect the character of an eunuch in an enjoyable way. And I like those half conversations between people who know each other so well that dont need explanations. And the general picture of Istambul that he offers. Loved this book.

107. Death of a Squire by Maureen Ash
One more mystery.

108. The Salisbury Manuscript by Philip Gooden
The author has a very personal way of narrating the story going sometimes back while something important has been left in suspense. Of course that keeps you reading. Nice book.

109. A Conspiracy of Violence by Susanna Gregory
Unexpected page turner. You cant help but to like this so generous Chaloner who doesnt seem to get never rewarded for his pains.

110. The Snake Stone by Jason Goodwin
A page turner like the first book. I love the image he gives of Istambul through its people.

111. An Unholy Alliance by Susanna Gregory
Not as good as the first book of the series imo.

And this makes 111 books for 2009 :) I haven't counted so many books that sadly didnt make it pass page 100.
Last edited by emr on Sat January 9th, 2010, 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
— Frank Zappa

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”