Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Leo's Litlist 2009

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue April 21st, 2009, 12:04 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I had to read "Gatsby" in HS.

SM[/quote]

Did you enjoy it?

And what's HS? :D

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue April 21st, 2009, 5:15 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]Did you enjoy it?

And what's HS? :D [/quote]

Um, I really can't remember what I thought at the time. HS means High School and it's been almost 20 years or so since I read it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue April 21st, 2009, 8:43 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Um, I really can't remember what I thought at the time. HS means High School and it's been almost 20 years or so since I read it.

SM[/quote]

Thanks :D I'm really enjoying it, but I imagine it would have gone totally over my head if I'd read it at school. Why do they inflict totally unsuitable books on schoolkids??

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue May 5th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Finally finished Great Gatsby. Don't know why it took me so long, as its a very short book! It's not like I hated it - on the contrary it was great.

Continuing the theme of 20th Century Classics Wot I Have Not Read Before, I've started Brideshead Revisited. Not sure if I'll finish it. It's well-written but I'm finding Waugh obnoxious company.

On the N-F front, I'm re-reading Sacred Contracts by Caroline Myss.
Last edited by Leo62 on Tue May 5th, 2009, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon June 1st, 2009, 11:47 am

It took me an age, but I finally finished Brideshead Revisited. It surprised me by being very good, though I did not find Waugh very easy company...

Zipped through A Place Beyond Courage by EC over the weekend. Another gripping take on the When Christ And His Saints Slept era. :D

Now getting serious again with Singled Out: How 2 million women survived without men after WW1 by Virginia Nicholson.

Next Up: Either Point Counter Point by Aldous Huxley or The American Boy by Andrew Taylor or... :p

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed June 17th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Finished The Time of Singing last night - a thumping good read :) Just started The American Boy by Andrew Taylor, a gothic mystery set in 1819 and featuring a teenage Edgar Allan Poe.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue June 30th, 2009, 11:54 am

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. A 100-year-old woman, long committed to a mental hosiptal, looks back to the dramatic and tragic events that led her there.

A slow starter, but picking up nicely...

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue June 30th, 2009, 4:17 pm

I really enjoyed The Secret Scripture.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed July 8th, 2009, 1:41 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I really enjoyed The Secret Scripture.[/quote]

So did I in the end! Great book - worth persisting with. :D

I've got The Little Stranger waiting on my pile, but currently well into Hodd by Adam Thorpe, a Name of the Rose-ish "realistic" retelling of the Robin Hood myth.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri July 17th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Just started The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”