Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Leo's Litlist 2009

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon March 9th, 2009, 11:14 am

Finally finished Daughters of Fire. It was a long haul. My braincells are now very glad to be stimulated by DJ Taylor's clever Kept: A Victorian Mystery, which promises to do exactly what it says on the tin.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Thu March 19th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Finished Kept. A fascinating read, though the end was slightly baffling and a bit unsatisfactory.

I've got a pile of library books, but can't resist starting Drood by Dan Simmons next. It's a right old brick of a book. Might have to find something slimmer for journeys to work. :D
Last edited by Leo62 on Fri March 20th, 2009, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri March 20th, 2009, 9:34 pm

I have Drood out from the library at the moment too, and you are right it is a brick of a book! I have thought about not taking on the train to read, but then the other place I read is in bed, and I am not sure that the size of the book is conducive to that either!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri March 20th, 2009, 9:45 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I have Drood out from the library at the moment too, and you are right it is a brick of a book! I have thought about not taking on the train to read, but then the other place I read is in bed, and I am not sure that the size of the book is conducive to that either![/quote]

It's definitely a book you have to plan whether to take it along with you! (If you flew, you'd probably have to buy it its own seat!)
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri March 20th, 2009, 10:02 pm

LOL I dread to think how much a library hardback weighs. :eek: I have the paperback and it's still quite a heft. Just read the opening chapter describing the Staplehurst railway accident and I'm hooked. I may have to start getting in shape for carrying it to work. :p

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed March 25th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Oh dear. I'm not getting on too well with Drood :( I'm putting it aside for a while in favour of The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin.

From the past to the future in an instant - it's enough to give you the timetraveller's bends ;)

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri April 10th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Finished The Left Hand Of Darkness last week. Now I'm swinging on back to the 14th century for Karen Maitland's Company of Liars.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue April 14th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Enjoyed Company of Liars, though it got a bit predictable towards the end. Now I'm dusting off Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks, which has been on my TBR pile forever.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon April 20th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Gave up on Human Traces. Dull as ditchwater. :(

Started The Great Gatsby, which is #1 on my list of Classics I've Never Read And Really Ought to. It's also thin and therefore easy to carry on the train :D

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon April 20th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I had to read "Gatsby" in HS.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”