Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

kenys logs

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue November 10th, 2009, 10:32 pm

[quote=""annis""]What did you make of "Golden Slave", Keny? I'm not convinced that it's one of Poul Anderson's better efforts, but it's certainly an interesting hypothesis for the origin of the Norse æsir gods.[/quote]

hey Annis, i liked it thanks for the recommendation. (although the copy i got had a risque cover. Anderson's books seem plagued by crappy fantasy covers)

I completely forgot about the Aesir angle until the final chapter, which made the thing brilliant. I guess it had just slipped my mind. Then in the last chapter, the names, Eodan and Tjorr, the one eye, the hammer. I shouted out loud in joy when it all came together. the same feeling when you suddely realize when watching the "13th warrior" that its beowulf. (or when you figure out the end of "the sixth sense")

I had that great "wow" moment when reading. it was nice.

as for the story, yeah it was solid poul anderson. I really liked the ongoing rivalry beween the protagonist and Valerius. and as anderson says in the forward "this could have happened". no doubt norse and slavic gods started out as ancient warrior/lords.

thanks, again.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed November 11th, 2009, 7:17 am

Both "Rogue Sword" and "Golden Slave" have utterly awful covers despite being pretty much straight HF- you'd never buy them if you didn't know the author! Mind you, that type of cover was typical at the time the books were published - certainly made it hard to tell the good stuff from the crap :)

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed November 11th, 2009, 9:19 am

[quote=""annis""]Both "Rogue Sword" and "Golden Slave" have utterly awful covers despite being pretty much straight HF- you'd never buy them if you didn't know the author! Mind you, that type of cover was typical at the time the books were published - certainly made it hard to tell the good stuff from the crap :) [/quote]

im reading "rogue sword"now and im embarrassed to read it in public. i wonder how many readers picked it up expecting it to be a conanesque type of book? then i wonder if they were disappointed or intrigued.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun November 15th, 2009, 11:54 am

"rogue sword" by poul anderson

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed November 25th, 2009, 4:31 pm

"live and let die" by Ian Fleming

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed December 9th, 2009, 11:06 am

"the Saracen Blade" Frank Yerby