Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Meet Kendra

Post your pet pictures here!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Meet Kendra

Post by Misfit » Tue August 19th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Boy, I am behind sharing this news. Late May I went to a cat show and in my wildest dreams never thought I'd bring another one home, and never dreamed Starla would tolerate it. Anywho, several local shelters brought some of their pets to the show, and this scrawny little white and black kitty just kept calling me back. She was very small, like an almost grown kitten, but they guess her age around seven. I believe they said she'd been found on the streets, so no idea what her life was like before that. The shelter named her Trinity, and she'd been in their adoption center for ten months waiting for a home. She's a bit sassy, plus there was a twenty pound bruiser of a cat who intimidated her and she didn't do well in the adoption center for potential hoomins.

I decided to take a chance on her, even with the worries about her sensitive tummy (she would barf things up easily) and only eating wet-food (oh, the food wars I had at first with Starla when she realized the other cat was getting the good stuff and she got prescription dry food). FF a couple of months, and despite a rocky road finding a good fit on her wet food since the chunky meaty styles did not work for her, and we've settled into a nice routine. The girls are getting along fairly well, and thisclose to being friends.

Trinity, now named Kendra, has packed on some weight and not the scrawny beast she was at first. She's also done quite a bit of copying big sis Starla and really cleaned up nicely, her dingy white fur is BRITE WHITE now.

I'm glad I took a chance on another shelter kitty, and wish I could make a home for all of them. Hats off to the volunteers who work so hard at the shelters too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue August 19th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Congrats on the (semi)new kitty, Misfit! She seems a love. I have an older cat who only eats wet food (and I have to rotate the flavors because she stops eating as soon as she gets bored with one flavor) and it's a circus trying to lure the other two away with tiny bites while she gorges on the good stuff. The pleasures of being owned by pets... ;)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 19th, 2014, 9:11 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Congrats on the (semi)new kitty, Misfit! She seems a love. I have an older cat who only eats wet food (and I have to rotate the flavors because she stops eating as soon as she gets bored with one flavor) and it's a circus trying to lure the other two away with tiny bites while she gorges on the good stuff. The pleasures of being owned by pets... ;) [/quote]

It is hard when you have one you want to eat their fill and more, and the other restricted to the diet stuff. They do own us.

Forgot to mention the pic in the center is one taken when she first came home. She really has fleshed out (and floofed out) quite a lot.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue August 19th, 2014, 9:25 pm

I'm sure they'll settle in better as time goes on. Cats are animals that need a pride. And we two-legs make such fickle and obtuse pride-members. :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 19th, 2014, 9:47 pm

I'm really surprised at how well they're doing. If Kendra had been more of an in-your-face cat with Starla we'd have had more problems.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed August 20th, 2014, 8:29 am

Oh she is lovely :) she looks like she just wants plenty of cuddles.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed August 20th, 2014, 2:28 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]Oh she is lovely :) she looks like she just wants plenty of cuddles.[/quote]

Thank you. She cuddles when she wants it. But she's wanting more of it all the time ;)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue August 26th, 2014, 10:35 pm

She is really lovely, Misfit! I get tempted sometimes, but with one dog and one cat already, and no other hoomins in the house, it usually passes.

I bet as the weather cools, you will find you have a total cuddle bum on your hand. :D
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed August 27th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Lovely Misfit - after her rough start she's going to be one happy kitty for the rest of her life!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Wed August 27th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Congratulations on your new baby. She looks adorable. So happy she's found you at last!
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Return to “Pet Pix”