Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Joy--a rescue dog

Post your pet pictures here!
rockygirl
Avid Reader

Joy--a rescue dog

Post by rockygirl » Mon June 18th, 2012, 1:30 am

I don't have a photo to post tonight, but I thought people might want to hear the story of a shelter dog. All details are true as I understand them from the shelter people.

Once there was an adorable miniature schnauzer named Bibit. Bibit lived with her mother. How Bibit loved Mother. She was such a happy puppy.

One day, Mother said that Bibit was going to have a whole family--a daddy and some canine siblings. Bibit was so excited! But when the new family came, things became very bad for Bibit. The other dogs were mean and bit Bibit. Bibit would bark and bark to let Mother and Daddy know what was happening, but they only told Bibit to be quiet. Bibit was so upset.

One day, Mother put Bibit in the car. Bibit was happy because she loved the car, and she hadn't had private time with Mother since the new family members came. Perhaps Bibit could explain to Mother that the other dogs were hurting her and teasing her.

But Mother took Bibit to a place with lots of other dogs. AND LEFT HER THERE!! ALL ALONE!!

Bibit found out that the place was a shelter and people who didn't want their animals any more took them there to stay. Bibit was desperately unhappy. The other dogs barked all the time. She had to stay outside in the rain. The food wasn't very good. She was chained up all the time. Bibit began to lose weight and got very sick.

One day, a lady came to the shelter. She looked at Bibit and said she was a good girl and very adorable. She petted Bibit. Then she went to look at the big dogs. The big dogs snarled at the lady and the lady left.

The next day Mother came to the shelter. She petted Bibit, and then LEFT HER THERE AGAIN!! Bibit was now completely miserable.

Two days later, the lady who called Bibit "good girl" came back. She ignored all the other dogs and came straight to Bibit. She petted and talked to Bibit for a long time. She tried to get Bibit to eat some food. Then she told Bibit that she was going to come live with her. Bibit was confused. She liked the lady, but why wasn't Bibit going home to Mother? The lady went inside to talk to the people at the shelter and Bibit saw her filling out some papers.

Bibit kept waiting for the lady or Mother to come back. Five days later, the lady came back with another lady. The first lady introduced Bibit to the other lady. She said, "I'm your Mommy now, and your name will be Joy." Joy was so happy because she always thought Bibit was a stupid name. But she didn't understand about the new Mommy. Mommy said the other lady was Joy's Grammy. Grammy stayed with Joy, petting her, while Mommy went back inside. Soon Joy heard angry voices from inside. She heard Mommy say, "That dog is sick, and she needs a home today, not when you feel like processing my paperwork." It started to rain, and Mommy marched out and unchained Joy, and picked her up. The shelter people got mad, but Mommy said, "My dog is not going to be out in the rain." Mommy stared down those shelter people until they started calling their boss and Mommy's references. Oh, was Mommy mad at the shelter people. But even while she was using angry words with the shelter people, she was cuddling Joy and saying nice things to her. Joy snuggled up against Mommy's neck (Joy is an excellent snuggler). Finally, the shelter people gave in, and Grammy went to Mommy's car to get Joy's new collar and leash!!

All the way to Joy's new home, Mommy and Grammy petted Joy. When Joy got to her new home, she realized that while Mommy had been waiting for Joy, she filled the house with things for Joy--bowls and toys and food and a fluffy pink bed. Joy was so delighted when she realized that this was going to be her home forever. Mommy told Joy, "You're my doggie now, and I will never give you up."

That was three happy years ago. Joy and Mommy have been inseparable ever since. Joy has a whole family that loves her--her grandparents, her aunt, her uncles, her cousins, and, of course, her mommy.

Mommy wants to add a PS.

PS--When I took Joy to the vet, he confirmed this so-called "healthy" dog was actually quite sick, which was the crux of my argument with the shelter. I originally wanted a big dog, but I've always like schnauzers, and I recognized at that first visit that something was terribly wrong with Joy. I couldn't get her out of my mind, so I went back to the shelter for her.

What was wrong with Joy? Well, she was very underweight, she had anemia, she had Lyme disease, she had another tickborne disease, and she had kennel cough. Also, she had several infections. The vet treated her very aggressively, and she was fine within a month.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon June 18th, 2012, 9:16 am

Lovely story. It's great to hear that Joy has a good home.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon June 18th, 2012, 11:02 am

Glad it ended happily for Joy, schnauzers are lovely dogs. Do you know if anything happened to the shelter, it doesn't sound much of a shelter if they left a dog out in the rain, they sound a bad bunch.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon June 18th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Yay for Joy!
Brenna

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Mon June 18th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Cheers for Joy, and for Joy's mommy and family too! :)
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon June 18th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Beautiful story! Glad Joy is happy now.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon June 18th, 2012, 11:07 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Glad it ended happily for Joy, schnauzers are lovely dogs. Do you know if anything happened to the shelter, it doesn't sound much of a shelter if they left a dog out in the rain, they sound a bad bunch.[/quote]

Madeleine,
I was really hesitant to adopt from this shelter because, after many warnings, it had been decommissioned by the ASPCA, and was known as a bad place. But it's right around the corner, and I was looking for a big dog for security. Someone had told me that the shelter had big dogs, so I looked there first. When I was there, I fell in love with Joy.

Meanwhile, they insisted she was a healthy dog and even showed me her medical report from their vet. Thank God she was only there two weeks or Joy would probably have died, according to my vet.

The shelter charged me $300 for her. The vet was another $370. It was the best money I ever spent.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Fri June 22nd, 2012, 5:06 pm

What a shame the 'shelter' wasn't a bit more responsible. But it's great that Joy has found a happy home with you! :)

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri June 22nd, 2012, 5:30 pm

Where are the pictures of this little love? We want pictures! :D

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat June 23rd, 2012, 11:51 pm

Best wishes for you and Joy! Wonderful name for her.

Return to “Pet Pix”