Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sweet Siddy La

Post your pet pictures here!
DianeL
Bibliophile

Sweet Siddy La

Post by DianeL » Tue February 14th, 2012, 1:47 am

I adopted my dog when she was four - some unfathomably foolish twits *gave her up* which confounds me. I met someone who knew them once, who greeted Lolly (I hardly seem to stick with Sid or any of her original-name-based nicknames, even) by her given name, and who told me they had given her up because she was, essentially, not yuppie enough for them.

Me, I live to be good enough for my dog (or any dog at all, for that matter). Ten years later, she appears to be mostly contented - but I'm not going to stop trying.

She is healthy. She is (as so many dogs are) the Best Dog In the History of Ever.

And she is totally stylin' in her winter coat from grandma ...

"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue February 14th, 2012, 10:08 am

She's a beauty, Diane, you're lucky to have each other! And she looks very smart, who cares about yuppies.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 14th, 2012, 10:31 am

Ah, she's gorgeous!

Her previous owners must be very shallow people say say something like that.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed February 15th, 2012, 12:41 am

Thank you so much! I *am* lucky indeed. :D

Lolly clearly had training when she was a kid (and some pretty nasty discipline to go with it; after all these years, sometimes she STILL reacts in terror if she thinks she is in trouble). She's very good on her own all day alone. She is simply the best sitting-at-your-feet-while-you-read dog ever. She barks only when someone is outside, which I encourage actually, or to say hello. And she's taught herself a lot of extremely useful ways of managing me - on walks, around the house, etc. SUCH a good monkey, my La.

My apologies, by the way, for the size of the image!

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed February 15th, 2012, 1:08 am

She's a beauty!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed February 15th, 2012, 2:55 pm

She is just darling! Such sweet eyes! I get suckered in by their eyes each and everytime. Hence the reason my husband strongly discourages me from "helping" out in a shelter. My idea of "helping" would be to bring each and every animal home!!
Brenna

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Wed February 15th, 2012, 5:57 pm

What a huggable sweetie! And looking very smart, too.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu February 16th, 2012, 1:46 am

Brenna, Siddy has the most wonderful, saddest, beautiful glossy brown eyeballs - they will kill you in a minute. But possibly the most fantastic feature she has is her EARS. Giant, magnificent, velvety ears. My brother calls her Die Fledermaushund! One is brown-black, and the other is white with Dalmatian spots. It's the only black spots on her body, and they form a little snowman. And she has had TWO Dalmatian boyfriends. And a teacup yorkie, and a giant fluffy blonde, our next-dog-neighbor - and she makes eyes at all my girlfriends too. Siddy is kind of a trampy girl. :p

I'm sure she would love on each of you - she loves making new friends, and her thanks for compliments are always limpidly sincere!

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri June 8th, 2012, 12:23 am

My poor girl is not doing exceptionally well this week. She's having some pain, and moving very slowly, gingerly. Keep a good thought out for my good old girl, ye lovers of wee and timorous beasties.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 8th, 2012, 10:44 am

fingers crossed for her, Diane.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Pet Pix”