Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Halloween costumes?

Got something of interest to the forum, like giveaways, news, etc.? Post it here!
lauragill
Avid Reader

Halloween costumes?

Post by lauragill » Sat November 1st, 2014, 9:38 pm

Anyone do anything historical for Halloween costumes? I did Queen Clytemnestra, though the labrys I tried to construct didn't come out and I had to scrap it.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun November 2nd, 2014, 3:06 am

I put on my middle class renaissance garb to take the grandkids around. (the noble gown takes too much time to assemble all the pieces and get them all on right.) The schoolkids thought I was Old Mother Hubbard. :rolleyes:

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sun November 2nd, 2014, 3:56 am

[quote=""MLE (Emily Cotton)""]I put on my middle class renaissance garb to take the grandkids around. (the noble gown takes too much time to assemble all the pieces and get them all on right.) The schoolkids thought I was Old Mother Hubbard. :rolleyes: [/quote]

Do you have pictures?

Here's one of me as Clytemnestra.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun November 2nd, 2014, 4:03 pm

Would love to see photos, MLE!

I went greyscale - to work! Then a bit of shopping with my mom. Photos at the click.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun November 2nd, 2014, 5:09 pm

You all forgot the #1 rule of interacting with grandparents: NEVER ask for pictures!
Of course I didn't bother with any new shots of my ordinary peasant garb, but here are my eldest's 3 children as little red riding hood and the big bad wolf. And a ladybug.
(also attached a shot from faire. I'm on the lower left.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun November 2nd, 2014, 5:21 pm

That ladybug is cute! And I'd love to know what made you ladies laugh!

You look great too, Diane.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sun November 2nd, 2014, 5:27 pm

[quote=""MLE (Emily Cotton)""]You all forgot the #1 rule of interacting with grandparents: NEVER ask for pictures!
Of course I didn't bother with any new shots of my ordinary peasant garb, but here are my eldest's 3 children as little red riding hood and the big bad wolf. And a ladybug.
(also attached a shot from faire. I'm on the lower left.)[/quote]

Did you make the grandkids' costumes? They're all adorable. Some of the best costumes I've seen this year were kids' outfits. There was this one little rooster that came to the door...

Return to “Member Announcements”