Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Magna Carta at Reagan Library

Got something of interest to the forum, like giveaways, news, etc.? Post it here!
michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed January 28th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Thanks Red805! I'm going to see it today!!! I just read 1215: The Year of the Magna Carter. It's a wonderful NF book with some fantastic details about 13th century England.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Thu January 29th, 2009, 1:12 am

Great Michelle! I'd be interested to see what you think of the exhibit. I probably won't get there until May.

conejovalley003

Re: Magna Carta at Reagan Library

Post by conejovalley003 » Sun April 14th, 2019, 3:03 am

Yeah, I've already seen it. But what amazes me the most is the beautiful replica of Oval office. it includes the word library and the name of a dead president. You must visit the outdoor areas of the library ;you'll find Reagan's tomb in the back courtyard. Reagan library always shocks me whenever I visit. Its been 10 times since I travel to Conejo valley and I never misses a trip to Reagan

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Re: Magna Carta at Reagan Library

Post by SGM » Wed April 17th, 2019, 5:43 pm

I'm not sure I would refer to them as copies. There is no such thing as a single 'original'. No-one is sure how many were produced in 1215 but they were created from a sort of 'heads of terms' by numerous scribes The British Library holds two but one was badly burnt at the end of the 19th century, and the other two are held by Lincoln and Salisbury Cathedrals respectively. The Briitsh Library held a Magna Carta exhibition in 2015 and all four were exhibited together briefly for that exhibition with entrance limited to 1,215 people on application. After that only the two British Library Charters were exhibited together although you could see the Lincoln and Salisbury ones at their home bases. I did apply to see all four but unfortunately failed and had to make do with seeing the two and the other exhibits. I was, however, delighted that somewhat more recent British culture also got a mention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ4mxOluXY4

The Lincoln version was in the US at the outbreak of World War 2 and held in Fort Knox for the duration and then returned.

Rumour has it that a Prime Minister in the 1960s wanted to donate one to the US which just goes to show that politicans rarely appreciate history.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Member Announcements”