Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NaNoWriMo

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

NaNoWriMo

Post by Julianne Douglas » Fri October 31st, 2008, 1:12 am

Anyone from the forum doing NaNoWriMo this year? I just signed up and need some buddies. :)
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri October 31st, 2008, 1:39 am

Well, I have a month to produce the final, final edits for Cleo's Daughter. It's not exactly writing a book from scratch.... but the dates match!!!!

Good luck :]
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri October 31st, 2008, 3:17 am

So ya have to write a book in a month? :confused:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Fri October 31st, 2008, 4:44 am

The goal in order to "win" is to write 50,000 new words. I know that is completely impossible for me, given my responsibilities, so I'm shooting for 30,000 words. That breaks down to 1000 words (4 pages) a day, which MIGHT be doable. I'll only know if I try! I am such a painstakingly slow writer, I need to just try to crank something out to get the next book rolling. I've been rewriting the same 2400 words over and over for the last three weeks. It's time to move on. ;)

If you're interested, check out the NaNoWriMo website. I look at participating as a way to get and stay motivated, reinforce some good habits, and make some new friends. Hopefully some decent pages will come out of it, too.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Fri October 31st, 2008, 5:12 am

julianne, i'm playing! and i'm skeered!!!

XIAOTIEN over there.

tho the nano site has been down
for a bit. =O
i hope it's not having a break down
before we are! =)
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 31st, 2008, 9:59 am

Friend of mine in my re-enactment society is intending to have his first go at writing for Nano-wrimo. In fact his first go at writing anything. 'Any tips?' he asked me at an event on Saturday. Since I am the world's greates procrastinator I wasn't very helpful - except to say edit the thing afterwards and that perhaps some notion of the main characters and a rough outline might not go amiss. I'm too slow for something like Nano, but I am in awe of those who go for it!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri October 31st, 2008, 11:18 am

I may give this a go. I have a big idea cookin right now. Although thats part of my problem..too many ideas and I never stick with one. :cool:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Fri October 31st, 2008, 12:00 pm

I have a friend who attempted to do it two or three years ago. He got to 25,000 odd words until stuff came up and he ran out of time. The good thing is that he's turned it into a complete novel of over 140,000 words since then and is hoping to get it published soonish. It's about a trio of train and bank robbers at the turn of the last century running up to the assassination of Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo, I've read part of it and it's quite good.

cordaella
Scribbler

Post by cordaella » Fri October 31st, 2008, 3:38 pm

[quote=""Julianne Douglas""]Anyone from the forum doing NaNoWriMo this year? I just signed up and need some buddies. :) [/quote]

I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year. I did it last year for the first time without any great hopes of reaching the goal, but I did - at about a quarter to midnight on 30 November. It seemed a not wholly ridiculous first draft at 4 am on 1 December but I've scarcely dared look at it since.

This year I've lengthened the odds against finishing in time by doing almost no preps beforehand and inadvertently arranging to be away for 8 days out of the 30. So far I have 6 characters, some background and almost no plot. And it starts in about 8 hours. Hmmm.

Having NaNo chums does help with motivation and morale. The site seems to be down at the mo but if anyone here wants to exchange NaNo links with me when it's up again, do get in touch.

Best of luck to everyone here who's taking part!

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Fri October 31st, 2008, 4:24 pm

Cindy--I added you to my buddy list--I hope you don't mind! I'm sure once you start writing, your nervousness will disappear. Writing a second book is scary, probably triply so if you're under contract (unfortunately, I wouldn't know about that :( ). Just keep saying--I did it once, I can do it again, and better this time! That's my mantra.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Return to “The Craft of Writing”