Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Writers' roll call?

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sat December 18th, 2010, 4:55 am

Although this thread began a while back, it is so helpful to us newbies. I can see who is who and who might be able to help me with this or that. Thanks! I have so many books I want to read now!

My WIP is a historical fantasy set in 13th century England. In my ms, I mix historical people, places, and events with fictional people who change the course of history. My WIP also includes a heavy dose of the paranormal. My prot has some serious chi going on. (Don't fret. I won't write it that way in my upcoming queries!)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat December 18th, 2010, 3:54 pm

[quote=""Gabriella""]
It is set in the tail end of the roaring 20s and the beginning of the great depression. From the perspective of a young woman who is unmarried and pregnant. . .
[/quote] Gabriella, have you been able to talk with anyone who lived through such an experience? To give you a feel for how it really was? I ask because societal attitudes to that sort of thing at that time were VERY different from the way it is now. I know because one of my grandmothers went through this very thing herself in 1925.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat December 18th, 2010, 10:19 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Gabriella, have you been able to talk with anyone who lived through such an experience? To give you a feel for how it really was? I ask because societal attitudes to that sort of thing at that time were VERY different from the way it is now. I know because one of my grandmothers went through this very thing herself in 1925.[/quote]

Oh! Naughty grandma! How old was she?

I remember there was a tv show set after WWII and one of the characters got pregant. She was devistated and lied about the child's conception. She married, but the kid came 2 months early and looked perfectly normal.

That being said I LOVE the 1920s & Depression Era, but no one writes about it. I guess being starving, homeless and wearing rags isn't as glamorous as being a queen.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Gabriella
Scribbler

Post by Gabriella » Sun December 19th, 2010, 12:14 am

Michy, Yes actually, I have spent quite a bit of time researching and interviewing people in relation to that time. Reading lots of books published then, and all of that. :) I think that one of the most intriguing parts of writing historical fiction is getting to get in the mind set of someone who lived in that time... though it can be difficult as well. :cool:
But that is amazing that your grandmother went through that! :D

Diva, It is so true! Haha

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun December 19th, 2010, 12:59 am

To answer Divia's question, I believe my grandma was 19 or 20. And to add to the stigma of her situation, the man she got involved with was married. She never talked about it her whole life, and even now the family only knows very little about it. She subsequently married and had five more kids, and it wasn't until my uncle was somewhere around his very late teens that he even found out my grandpa wasn't really his dad. I think my grandparents' plan was to never tell him the truth.

I don't want to derail this thread by getting too off-topic, but just to respond to what Divia said - another era that I wish more was written about in fiction is WWI. I am afraid it has been forever lost in the shadow of WWII.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun December 19th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Michy

THanks. I'm always interested in people's stories. I find them fascinating.

I agree with you about WWI.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun December 19th, 2010, 8:47 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Michy

THanks. I'm always interested in people's stories. I find them fascinating.

[/quote] Both of my grandmothers had interesting lives, but in completely different ways. Either of them would make good subject matter for a book. Maybe I'll get around to writing them someday. :o

Return to “The Craft of Writing”