Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Writers' roll call?

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
xiaotien
Reader

Writers' roll call?

Post by xiaotien » Sun October 12th, 2008, 12:25 am

hi everyone! i noticed there are a lot
of writers on this forum. and wondered
if we could have a little role call and
maybe discuss what we're working on?
or what you have worked on, published?
whatever you like?

nanowrimo is around the corner and
i'm using it to FORCE myself to start my
contracted sequel. should be interesting--
as it's a different feeling than when i was
just doing it "for fun".

my debut novel is a asian YA fantasy set
in the china-like kingdom of xia.

i hope to some day maybe write a novel
loosely based on my maternal grandparents'
love story--time period is post world war II
in china--before the cultural revolution.

writing can be such a lonely endeavor,
so i'd love to commiserate with the rest of
you and keep each other posted on our
projects and dreams. =)
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun October 12th, 2008, 1:09 am

Hi Cindy!!

I'm really looking forward to your debut :]

As you know, since we've communicated before, I write novels on ancient Egypt. My first one, Nefertiti, came out July 2007. My second one, The Heretic Queen, came out about a month ago. My third novel, however, is a bit of a departure from ancient Egypt, and will be sent in Rome. The title is Cleopatra's Daughter, and its release date is September 15, 2009.

Although I've been writing on ancient Egypt, my specialty is actually ancient Rome and the Middle Ages. I obtained my Masters about seven years ago, and I'm currently pursuing a Ph.D. My thesis will be the influence of Rome (gods/lifestyle/literature/etc) on the Middle Ages. Odd topic - I know. And we'll see if I ever get around to it!

Given what I'm studying, I hope to write on Rome for another two books, then gradually make my way toward the Middles Ages, which will probably send my agent into a state of apoplexy.
Last edited by michellemoran on Sun October 12th, 2008, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sun October 12th, 2008, 1:41 am

Cindy,

First, I want to wish you much success with your writing, marketing, and sales.

I am expecting the release of my historical novel, Rocamora, set in seventeenth century Spain and Amsterdam at the end of this month or by mid-November at the latest. I am currently working on its sequel set in 17th century Amsterdam and polishing a novel about WWII fighter aces from the USA and German perspective.

Last year, my contemporary suspense horror novel, A Gathering of Vultures, was published. It is set mostly in Florianópolis on the island of Santa Catarina in Brazil. My protagonists are wife and husband professional ballroom dancers who encounter vultures, strange women, and assorted horrors on one of the most scenic islands in the world.

Prior to that I was a non-fiction with for a rags to riches autobigraphy of a vitamin king and for a urologist who wanted to write a book on the cause, cure, and prevention of sexual dysfunction.

And decades ago I sold to the TV series Mr. Novak and wrote with and for assorted producers while options were taken on some of my original work but never produced.

I thought I was going to go for my PhD in History, but the fire in the belly to write came to me in my mid-twenties while I was in grad school.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun October 12th, 2008, 3:27 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]Given what I'm studying, I hope to write on Rome for another two books, then gradually make my way toward the Middles Ages, which will probably send my agent into a state of apoplexy.[/quote]

And maybe the rest of us ;)

Well I'm working on a comic Divination which should see publication by Image comics eh.. late 2009. I say that, but the artist isn't working as quickly as I would like her too which has me worried.

I'm also working on a manuscript. American Civil War from a female perspective, but who knows how that will go.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun October 12th, 2008, 4:09 am

My two self-published novels set in 14th-century England, The Traitor's Wife and Hugh and Bess, were bought by Sourcebooks, which is reissuing them in 2009. I'm beavering away on revisions for Hugh and Bess tonight, as a matter of fact.

I'm at work on a third novel set during the Wars of the Roses. It features Henry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham, notorious for first helping Richard III to power and then for rebelling against him just a couple of months later, and his wife Katherine, youngest sister of Queen Elizabeth Woodville. I'm about 2/3 through the first draft and have ideas for my next project percolating--not sure if I want to try 13th century England, Tudor England, or 19th century America, all of which have people whose stories interest me at great deal at the moment.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Christine Blevins
Scribbler

Post by Christine Blevins » Sun October 12th, 2008, 4:28 am

Hey all -

As a reader, I am a fan of almost any time period, but as a writer I am in the clutch of American history. I have one book recently published by Berkley/Penguin titled MIDWFE OF THE BLUE RIDGE, a rousing adventure set on the frontier of colonial Virginia.

I'm just finishing up my second book, which is not a sequel. THE TORY WIDOW is an American Revolution story set in New York City, and will be published by Berkley in April 2009.

And Cindy - I remember seeing you on the "Rejection and Dejection" board at Absolute Write - how fantastic to see you with a multiple book contract! Congratulations!

Best Wishes to all on their writing endeavors.

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Sun October 12th, 2008, 5:52 am

My first novel, set in the printing shops, literary salons, and clandestine Protestant conventicles of sixteenth-century Lyon, recounts a woman poet's struggle to publish under her own name as religious controversy tears her family and city apart. The product of many years of labor, this manuscript is currently under submission by my agent.

I'm working on a second novel, set at Fontainebleau in 1539-40 during the Hapsburg Charles V's journey through France. Determined to undermine the peace process and occasion the downfall of the court's most powerful officer, the king's wily mistress, Madame d'Etampes, finds her plans challenged by the overlooked female artist she has groomed to trigger the fall. I'm in the research/plotting/early writing stages of this one.

My dream? A two-book deal with a major publisher. Will it come true? I continue to hope...
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sun October 12th, 2008, 10:01 am

Do we, unpublished writers, count?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun October 12th, 2008, 12:10 pm

[quote=""Volgadon""]Do we, unpublished writers, count?[/quote]

Sure! Tell us what you're working on.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun October 12th, 2008, 12:47 pm

I've written about 25 novels since the age of 15 - not all of them published. I served a looooong apprenticeship and was still serving it even after being published. I'm published by the Little Brown book group in the UK under their Sphere imprint.
The Middle Ages circa 1000-1300 is my stamping ground. I began writing at the romance end of the genre and have gradually moved up to mainstream. I've written 3 novels about the Marshal family who were stellar in the 12th and early 13thC - so I tend to walk the same research paths as Sharon Kay Penman although our angles are slightly different.
Currently I'm working on a novel about William Marshal's eldest daughter, who married the daughter of Roger Bigod Earl of Norfolk (The Time of Singing). When that's done, I'm going back in time to Edith Swan-Neck and Harold Godwinsson. And when that's done I have to pray for another set of contracts!!!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “The Craft of Writing”