Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New Title

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Helen_Davis

New Title

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri February 1st, 2013, 4:34 pm

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but my self pubbed novel about Evita is selling quite well. It's not exactly flying off the shelves, but the bookstore by my apartment agreed to carry both the English and Spanish versions of my work and I've gotten a decent amount of sales off Amazon.I do not like the title that I was suggested Evita: My Life. I have some other titles that I am thinking of.

Evita's Secret Diary

The Hidden Confessions of Evita

or maybe Evita's True Story

What do you guys think? Or anything else? I would appreciate feedback.
Last edited by Helen_Davis on Fri February 1st, 2013, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri February 1st, 2013, 9:39 pm

Ok, I'm typing on my phone so not too in-depth for now!

For the titles you suggested,

Evita's Secret Diary - is the book written in diary format? I read a sample chapter a few weeks ago and I just remember it was a first-person restrospective account, although the diary part could have come in later. But if not, I don't think you should use "diary" as it would suggest something it's not.

The Hidden Confessions of Evita - I like the "confessions" part, but why is it hidden? I guess if the confessions are hidden you mean they remained inside her mind unspoken - so maybe The Unspoken Confessions of Evitawould be a clearer sort of title.

Evita's True Story- nah, this sounds like a non fiction title and might mislead readers.

I do like Evita: My Life actually, it's brief and snappy, although to be fair not very romantic sounding. How about something also brief but more descriptive? I'm getting old, I had something in mind and now can't remember it for the life of me, well I can come back and edit later if it returns! Anyway, not having read it, my idea may not have fit.

My final suggestion would be to lift a particularly poetic phrase or image from the book, and use that (alongside the name Evita if it's unclear).

Hope that helped even a bit...
Last edited by Lisa on Fri February 1st, 2013, 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Darned phone keypad

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri February 1st, 2013, 10:20 pm

I like your suggestions! I really like The Unspoken Confessions of Evita!

Return to “The Craft of Writing”