Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tips for starting a blog

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Helen_Davis

Tips for starting a blog

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed November 7th, 2012, 5:58 pm

I would like to start a blog to promote my work with some tidbits about women in the ancient world and ancient women rulers, and also why I chose to make the decisions I did in my alternate history. I would like some tips.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed November 7th, 2012, 9:51 pm

First, you should think through whether you really want to blog or not. Lots of folks start out strong, then realize how much work it is (takes time away from writing) and the blogs die. If you decide to go forward, check out other peoples' blogs and decide what features you like about them and make some notes on what you'd like for your own. There are lots of good places on the net with advice for newbies. You might want to check those out or take a class (either in person or online.)

Once you've decided on some content and "look", it's time to look for a host. Wordpress.com offers free blogs (they put small ads on the blogs) with a variety of themes that are easy to use. They have an active user forum where newbies can ask questions and get good advice. I know there are other free sites that folks might recommend as well. If you have a website, you might want to add your blog to the site. In that case you'll need to talk with your hosting site and see what it takes to download Wordpress (or what ever blog software you use) to the site (this is free/no ads--but does take a little technical know how.)

Good luck!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “The Craft of Writing”