Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Writer's 3Rs

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
writerinthenorth
Reader

The Writer's 3Rs

Post by writerinthenorth » Wed July 18th, 2012, 5:27 pm

I've written an article today about what I'm calling The Writer's 3Rs. These are like the standard 3Rs in two ways. First, they do not all begin with R, though they are closer than the originals. For Reading,‘Riting, ‘Rithmetic I’d like to substitute Reading, Research, and ‘Riting. Second, like the standard 3Rs they are all fundamentally important if we are to have any chance of success. Not only do we have to find the correct balance to be productive, we've also got to leave room for another 3Rs - Recreation, Rest and Recuperation.

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Sun July 22nd, 2012, 7:42 pm

Good article. I've had "write a novel" on my bucket list since I was 12, and never done it. It would be nice if someone actually read it when I was finished, but that is not strictly necessary.

I never get around to starting though. I've changed subjects 47 times, and have random research all over the place. I come across some other interesting time/person and get sucked into another rabbit hole.

I need to set myself deadlines I guess. And no more changing the topic!
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Return to “The Craft of Writing”