Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Getting Through It

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
lauragill
Avid Reader

Getting Through It

Post by lauragill » Fri April 27th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Getting through Orestes: The High King is going to be a challenge, because it covers 50 years and is going to be a monster of a book. Right now, I'm 41k into the first draft, and still in Part 1. Need a bit of interaction with my fellow historical writers.

1. Have noticed that I dislike writing ceremonies and pageantry. Decorated chariots: check! Fragrant garlands: check! Cue the parade of dead Homeric cows: check! Honor multiple gods and goddesses: check!

2. Orestes and Menelaus have a great deal to say to each other. Too much, I think.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat April 28th, 2012, 5:14 pm

My first drafts are usually very "white room" with lots of ink devoted to action and dialog. I frequently insert "{mourning scene/parade/harbor description, etc.}" and go back later to fill in. Everyone has there own process, but when the muse is with me, I have little patience for description.

Good luck with the draft. Also bought your first Orestes book at Smashwords. Looking forward to it!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sun April 29th, 2012, 1:15 am

[quote=""fljustice""]My first drafts are usually very "white room" with lots of ink devoted to action and dialog. I frequently insert "{mourning scene/parade/harbor description, etc.}" and go back later to fill in. Everyone has there own process, but when the muse is with me, I have little patience for description.

Good luck with the draft. Also bought your first Orestes book at Smashwords. Looking forward to it![/quote]

Hope you like it!

I've tried glossing over such scenes, and coming back to them, but important plot points often find their way into those ceremonies, pageants, etc.

A few days ago, I was writing a scene where Orestes and Menelaus are watching an athletic contest, and Menelaus starts reminiscing about how Agamemnon was such a great javelin champion, etc. And I suddenly realized how his character dwells in the past, and how annoying that might be to a young man like Orestes. I had to slog through a pageant just to discover that, and begin to explore how those feelings might shape the relationship.

It's only later that I get to trim away the fat of those scenes.

Return to “The Craft of Writing”