Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Whats your take on peer reviews?

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
writerinthenorth
Reader

Analogy

Post by writerinthenorth » Thu June 9th, 2011, 6:13 pm

To use a topical example - it's a bit like buying votes from a FIFA World Cup selector.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri June 10th, 2011, 1:25 am

I'm not really fond of peer reviews. I have a friend read my stuff, when I think its ready and come what may. They are honest with me. And I find that they would be a typical reader so if they don't like something then obviously something needs to be changed.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

writerinthenorth
Reader

Some good may come of it.

Post by writerinthenorth » Fri June 10th, 2011, 9:14 am

I've just discovered that my sample from Mr Stephenson's Regret has just entered the YouWriteon.com Top Ten.. The good thing is that the top-rated samples go to an agent for review, so that's a useful way in. Glad to say I didn't have to buy any votes FIFA-style or persuade my friends. I don't know anything about the reviewers (except they must have exceptionally good taste :)

Writer in the North

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri June 10th, 2011, 1:47 pm

[quote=""writerinthenorth""]I've just discovered that my sample from Mr Stephenson's Regret has just entered the YouWriteon.com Top Ten.. The good thing is that the top-rated samples go to an agent for review, so that's a useful way in. Glad to say I didn't have to buy any votes FIFA-style or persuade my friends. I don't know anything about the reviewers (except they must have exceptionally good taste :)

Writer in the North[/quote]

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

writerinthenorth
Reader

I mean this most sincerely

Post by writerinthenorth » Sat June 11th, 2011, 9:21 am

You know, this really is my favourite forum. Members are so encouraging here, and the comments you make are so often right on the money. Please give yourselves a gold star, or whatever is your chosen mark of credit.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun June 12th, 2011, 11:36 am

That's wonderful news, writerinthenorth. We're all rooting for you!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun June 12th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Best of luck!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Sat February 4th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Several years ago, I joined an online writers community whose primary purpose was to help each of the writers hone and improve their craft. To make a long story short, I lasted only about four months. Jealousy wasn't the issue since these folks were intereseted in helping each other. My trouble was, that since writing is so subjective, each reviewer had a different take. In trying to address all of their concerns, I ended up with an unholy mess on my hands. Part of the difficulty was that they were not into historical fiction themselves so they tended to review based on their own genres and interest. I haven't touched that story since and, do to health issues, stopped writing entirely for over three years. I am leery of all peer reviews for that reason and I'll take my lumps from my readers instead.

Peer reviews, given judiciously, can be very useful but like anything else, reviewing writing properly is an art in and of itself.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Sun February 5th, 2012, 12:13 am

Bottom line for me -
If it's an academic peer who specializes in my field I truly appreciate the feedback as it helps me develop and grow.
If it is someone untrained in the area they are claiming expertise in - and they find "flaws" in my research because they don't know how to research at a deeper level - that's annoying.
If it's a wannabe author trash-talking to gain attention . . . hopefully they are as transparent to everyone else as they are to me.
Fortunately, most of the feedback I've had has been fair and useful. As Bevgray says it "is an art in and of itself." Thank you to all of you who strive to do it so well!
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Wed February 8th, 2012, 1:51 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I am strictly speaking as a reader who does have mixed feelings about them. I think my biggest issue is the disclosure of a relationship if there is one. With blogs and such it is easier to know there is a professional relationship from spending time at sites like HFO and Goodreads, but not every one reading that review will be aware there's a friendship going on - same as I see with a lot of book blurbs.

I hope I'm going to say this the right way and not start up a firestorm, but seeing these on Amazon can really set the alarm bells off, i.e. when there's nothing but gushy five star reviews from what are obviously authors (from their profile name) and no reviews from anyone else. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are not being truthful when they say they love the book, but for me as a consumer those reviews don't have quite the same value I would give to the opinion of an average joe reader spending their hard earned money.

I'm not going to name the book, but a friend of mine recently purchased a book based upon glowing reviews on Amazon and was a bit disappointed. She found out afterward that the majority of those glowing reviews were from authors - authors who had a very definite professional relationship.

I have seen discussion threads on Amazon wherein authors have discussed the you scratch my back I'll scratch yours of swapping book reviews, and that has really set my back up further on this issue.

As for Amazon reviews, they have put into their review guidelines asking reviewers to make full disclosure of product source. I sometimes forget to do this on old OOP's, but for newer releases I try my best to do so, even if it's from the library. Clearly since Klausner is still pumping out reviews Amazon isn't enforcing it, but perhaps one day they will.

I guess in conclusion what I'd like to see is full disclosure of the relationship. Did the author give the book to you for review? Are you close personal friends? Published by the same publishing house? Hey, it is OK if you loved the book, just please disclose whatever relationship so that we lowly consumers have one more tool to help us make the right purchasing decisions.[/quote]

I rarely read the 5 star reviews on Amazon. I start with the one star reviews and work up.

Qualified reviews mean the reviewer is giving his honest opinion about why he does or doesn't like the book, and a book has to really be something to get an honest 5 stars.

Too many 5 star reviews are promos or just gush (no insult intended). I'll glance at a couple to confirm the opinion I have already formed from the lower reviews. It seems to work.

Return to “The Craft of Writing”