Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Writing Forums

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 7th, 2010, 9:02 pm

[quote=""SarahWoodbury""]One of the best things about Absolute Write is the 'water cooler' where they give you the straight story on agents and publishers. It is indispensible for anyone thinking of querying agents.[/quote]

I'm sure there are other places. I dunno man that place just rubs me the wrong way. All the people I have come across have been snarky know it alls and down right bitchy.

I certainly get the vibe that "I'm published you're not so you suck, shh and listen to my awesome wisdom because you know nothing" over there.

Hey if someone people love it, then have at it. For me I'd rather find my answers on how to publish here. Everyone has been very helpful and aren't rude.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Post by stu1883 » Sun April 17th, 2011, 10:03 am

[quote=""Julianne Douglas""]I don't hate AW, Rowan. Like on any large forum, there will be people you like and people you don't. I've made some good friends there. I never used it for writing advice, but their info on agents and submitting is quite useful.

When I first started writing, I spent a lot of time on the Compuserve Books and Writers Community. Unfortunately, I haven't been back for a long time, since I had trouble logging in from the browser I used. Diana Gabaldon hangs there and is very patient and generous towards new writers. There's a Writers Workshop forum where members work on exercises and post them for critique. It was a great place to frequent as a beginning writer. I'll have to go back and see who's still around (I was active there about 6-7 years ago).[/quote]

I have just joined AW and will be having a real mooch around there later.
The site mentioned by Julianne looks very interesting but I can't fine where to sign up as there are so many ads on the page!

As usual some great pointers and advice from everyone one here! HF Online truly is the best forum on the net! :D

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon April 18th, 2011, 1:21 pm

Well I joined Absolute Writers and left Absolute Writers. As I type this, though, I can't say I recall why I left. Probably too cliquish. Of course I feel like an outsider in most forums that I join.

hfwriter
Scribbler

Post by hfwriter » Tue June 14th, 2011, 2:02 am

Looooove writerunboxed blog! This is my favorite forum personally.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Wed June 15th, 2011, 4:57 am

This is an old thread! I don't think I would recommend Absolute Write forums so much anymore (I never go there) in favor of the Kindle Boards. Even if you don't intend to indie publish, there's LOTS there in their Writer's Cafe that's great and the people are super supportive. Everyone who publishes has ebooks these days so . . .

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed June 29th, 2011, 9:23 pm

I visit agentqueryconnect and enjoy the give and take there.

Return to “The Craft of Writing”