Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I feel like the worst writer EVER!

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun July 12th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Thanks Love :)

Maybe these books are a lot like the how to be a great teacher books. You can do some of the stuff but really its matters if the person has talent or not...if that makes sense.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sun July 12th, 2009, 6:38 pm

And how many people who read how to become rich and famous books are actually rich and famous?

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Mon July 13th, 2009, 8:06 am

Good points by everyone - the people writing these "how tos" have not had bestsellers themselves, because such success is due to a lot of imprecise, mysterious, "magical" elements that no one can really pin down. All these books can do is improve on the spark that you have that makes you an individual and the creative muse that is yours alone. I agree with leo - don't read them in first draft stage but later in revising stage. I've had four novels published and I only ever read one "How to" book and yes, Catholic, that was Persia Woolley's book "How to Write HF" and that was about 12 years ago! I bought the Maas book on a whim - since I am now in late revisions of book 5 I'm not sure if it's the right time!! Clearly I am doing some of what is right already, but you can always improve. It helps me remember and double check some stuff, since books are so complicated to complete - the brain does get overloaded and you can't see the wood from the trees. Divia - "how to" books are NO substitute for writing from the heart when you get that spark! That's the magic ;)
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon July 13th, 2009, 3:25 pm

[quote=""Volgadon""]And how many people who read how to become rich and famous books are actually rich and famous?[/quote]

Maybe the best way to make money is to write a book about the best way to make money. :D

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Mon July 13th, 2009, 3:47 pm

I absolutely agree! As Jules said, so much of writing is that indefinable spark of magic. Why has Star Trek been such an enduring phenomenon? Or King Arthur stories, for that matter? :) There are legions of reasons you can list, but the real answer is that no one can absolutely pin it down--there's just something magical there, something that grabs us and won't let go.

Writing is like any other skill, I think. Like playing the piano--if you really want to learn to play, reading a book about piano playing may help a bit, but what you really need to do is sit down at the keyboard and start playing. And don't be discouraged if you're not exactly playing Mozart right away, you know? It all comes with practice!

Divia, have you tried Noah Lukeman's The Plot Thickens? I'm not usually a huge fan of books on writing, but I really did like that one when I was first starting out--probably because it's less a textbook and more lists and lists of questions to help you get to know your characters better and understand the journey they're on more fully.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon July 13th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Anna,
I hadn't heard of that one. I'll see if the lib has it. Thanks :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon July 13th, 2009, 6:15 pm

I like all of Noah Lukeman's books. The Plot Thickens is especially good for people who have moved beyond the beginner stage.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Lady D
Scribbler

Post by Lady D » Fri November 27th, 2009, 12:21 pm

The worst moments of self-doubt I ever had as a writer were when I was doing my MA in creative writing! I became completely blank and felt that I would never write again (because we were being moulded to write in a certain image otherwise we wouldn't get good marks). The thing is to trust your own intuition on what works for you and what doesn't. Pick what you find useful from these books but don't think that they are the full answer.

Looking at the start date of this thread, I hope you've managed to find your self-confidence again Divia. Just get a first draft down and then start to polish it up - in whatever way suits you best ;-)
http://www.despenser.blogspot.com

There's nothing worse than a 'bad wimple' day! :)

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri April 6th, 2012, 4:59 am

When I am in burn out, I feel like the worst writer ever. My third Orestes novel is such a massive project that I feel like beating my head against the wall because there are parts where I don't know whether it's going to be relevant, whether it's consistent with what I've written before, etc.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri April 6th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Diva - believe in yourself! Write what YOU would want to read and you can bet there will be plenty of others out there like you. No book (absolutely no book) appeals to everyone, which is why there's always room for one more original writer.

I have a PhD in Literature and used to teach literary analysis, creative writing, and composition. Best advice anyone ever gave me? Read as much great literature as you can! I think you absorb technique as you read, your mind unconsciously processes it, and it somehow magically emerges in your own work at a later date.

Good luck and keep smiling :)
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Return to “The Craft of Writing”