Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Getting Started

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Sun April 26th, 2009, 8:15 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]What has made me roll my eyes in amazement are the fake pedigrees that appear on genealogical websites [/quote]

My mom is using her retirement to transition from librarian to genealogy, and this type of claim drives her nuts. She commissioned a search from one of the better-known services in the early 80s, after having proven that so-and-so wasn't on our tree, but who was he confused with? They came back with a report including the false so-and-so, and Robert the Bruce. :eek: :eek:
One thought -- ignore the naysayers. .....

Second thought -- while ignoring the naysayers and staying focused, learn to recognize the difference between constructive criticism and bad-mouthing.
I am currently surrounded by the sort of people who believe in my determination, and who will encourage me when I need it. I'm really glad that the ones who would have been active nay-sayers have since disappeared from my life. Thank you for the reminder about criticism - I do sometimes throw out the wheat with the chaff.
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon April 27th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Chatterbox
What has made me roll my eyes in amazement are the fake pedigrees that appear on genealogical websites
I think I've been on one or two of those. I once traced my ancestry through Trojan royalty all the way back to Noah. :D

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue May 5th, 2009, 1:21 pm

Hi lauryn

I'm a new member and noticed your post on old French. Much of my research into the Savoyards and their influence on King Henry 111 and Edward 1 has involved trying to make sense of the French that they spoke/wrote at that time. I speak (modern!) French and then, just as now, there are the different dialects and regional differences to contend with as well.

If I have understood correctly, you understand modern French? If so, I have found a site that may help you: It's short name that you can Google (try Google France) is 'Histoire du Francais - La Periode Feudale - L'Ancien Francais (!X - X111 siecles);

The URL is very long: http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/axl/francopho ... ancais.htm but the google link should find it for you.

Hope that's of some help

Good luck!

Ken

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue May 5th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Hi Lauryn

I just sent you a post about old french, but for some reason the URL which is very long, won't come out correctly in the actual post (not this box).

I'm sure you can find it on the Google address I gave you though

Ken

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Tue May 5th, 2009, 1:45 pm

While carrying out the research for my book on the Savoyards/Edward/llewelyn/Master James, I found that I was losing track of one, while researching the other! So i decided to draw up a Time Line of the 4 Principal Chrarcters, from 1224 (roughly when LLewelyn ap G was born), month by month through the lives of all of them (as much as can be got from the records!) up to 1328 ( when the last of them Othon de Grandson died).

This Timeline gives me an accurate picture of what each of them was doing, or where they were, at the time that events were happening to the others. By this way, I hope to be able to weave the plot linking all of them into the overall story of the conquest of Wales and other matters, in as factual a way as possible.

I can only think that the top authors do something similar (SKP and EC??). If not, I would love to know how they get their time/place/character facts to align to correspond with the known history.

One problem is that I so enjoy doing this, I have hardly started the main story!!!!!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue May 5th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Timelines are a great idea. Much better than my system of index cards strung out all over the house.

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Tue May 5th, 2009, 8:53 pm

[quote=""Ken""]While carrying out the research for my book on the Savoyards/Edward/llewelyn/Master James, I found that I was losing track of one, while researching the other! So i decided to draw up a Time Line of the 4 Principal Chrarcters, from 1224 (roughly when LLewelyn ap G was born), month by month through the lives of all of them (as much as can be got from the records!) up to 1328 ( when the last of them Othon de Grandson died).

This Timeline gives me an accurate picture of what each of them was doing, or where they were, at the time that events were happening to the others. By this way, I hope to be able to weave the plot linking all of them into the overall story of the conquest of Wales and other matters, in as factual a way as possible.

I can only think that the top authors do something similar (SKP and EC??). If not, I would love to know how they get their time/place/character facts to align to correspond with the known history.

One problem is that I so enjoy doing this, I have hardly started the main story!!!!![/quote]

I had to smile at this, because I've been keeping track of which monarchs were contemporary with whom (and some related family trees) via a timeline since I got so heavily into reading HF some years ago. Your method is definitely appropros for mapping out the plot of an HF opus, and I plan to try it! I love spread sheets for this kind of thing - they are pretty flexible for the range of data that needs tracking.

As for your question regarding my facility with French - rusty high-school levels only, I'm afraid, so I'll need to start brushing up on that. I can read modern French quite slowly, but don't dare try chatting with any Francophones with my mangled accent. :D
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue May 5th, 2009, 9:08 pm

[quote=""Ken""]While carrying out the research for my book on the Savoyards/Edward/llewelyn/Master James, I found that I was losing track of one, while researching the other! So i decided to draw up a Time Line of the 4 Principal Chrarcters, from 1224 (roughly when LLewelyn ap G was born), month by month through the lives of all of them (as much as can be got from the records!) up to 1328 ( when the last of them Othon de Grandson died).

One problem is that I so enjoy doing this, I have hardly started the main story!!!!![/quote]

The research is totally addictive! I was enthusing to the dh last night that I think I might have found a link in the history of how Robin Hood came to be called Robin Hood and dating back to 1138 (found it in casual reading). Dh just grunted, totally underwhelmed.

As to timeline stuff. Ummm....I confess that I have a timeline written in my synopsis - which is detailed and written from initial research. Thus I know the time of the key dramatic events and the emotional pivot points on which the novel has to turn. Beyond that, I just keep it in my head and refresh my memory as I go along.
What can I say? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu May 28th, 2009, 5:19 am

Posted by EC
The research is totally addictive! I was enthusing to the dh last night that I think I might have found a link in the history of how Robin Hood came to be called Robin Hood and dating back to 1138
That's exciting, EC! The 1378-ish mention in "Piers Plowman" is usually quoted as the earliest written record of the Hooded Man. Where did you find it?
http://books.google.com/books?id=sCbp8D ... t&resnum=1

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu May 28th, 2009, 5:19 am

Posted by EC
The research is totally addictive! I was enthusing to the dh last night that I think I might have found a link in the history of how Robin Hood came to be called Robin Hood and dating back to 1138
That's exciting, EC! The 1378-ish mention in "Piers Plowman" is usually quoted s the earliest record of the Hooded Man. Where did you find it?
http://books.google.com/books?id=sCbp8D ... t&resnum=1

Return to “The Craft of Writing”