Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vainglory by Geraldine McCaughrean

(see under "By Era" for French Revolution fiction)
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Vainglory by Geraldine McCaughrean

Post by Misfit » Wed September 2nd, 2009, 6:08 pm

Anyone read this one? I'm not sure where it popped up on my radar but I put in an ILL request and it just showed up on my hold list. Just this bit on Goodreads,
A saga which traces the fortunes of four families in 15th-century France, centering on the beautiful chateau Gloriole and spanning five turbulent generations.
And Amazon UK,
Product Description
A tale of obsessive love, chivalry and ambition, set in Renaissance France. It centres on the Chateau Gloriole and five turbulent generations of its aristocratic occupants, evoking a century and a half of war, romance and obsession through the changing fortunes of the Comtes de Gloriole.
Sounds like my kinda book :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed September 2nd, 2009, 7:38 pm

It's on my keeper shelf Misfit - wrote about it on my blog not so long ago.
If you like Dorothy Dunnett you will love Vainglory. It very much reminds me of one of those richly coloured highly illuminated books of hours from the novel's period, but told in words. One of my all time best reads.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed September 2nd, 2009, 8:05 pm

That's how the book ended up on my wish list. Glad Amazon has note options now so I can track that stuff.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed September 2nd, 2009, 11:03 pm

I loved this one too and would agree with EC's Dunnett comparison. It also has a Susan Howatch-y multi-generational thing going on. Good luck on getting hold of it - I was lucky enough to get a copy for 20p in my local library sale. :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed September 2nd, 2009, 11:34 pm

Misfit, I have it on my reading table (as opposed to my TBR shelf) so I'll probably get to it soon. Lemme know when you start it, maybe we can do book buddies.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 12:29 am

[quote=""Ash""]Misfit, I have it on my reading table (as opposed to my TBR shelf) so I'll probably get to it soon. Lemme know when you start it, maybe we can do book buddies.[/quote]

Ash, very cool. My guess from looking at the hold status it should land by Saturday/Monday at the earliest and ILL's are three weeks and no renewals so it will get fast-tracked as soon as I finish my current read.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 12:37 am

[quote=""Leo62""]I loved this one too and would agree with EC's Dunnett comparison. It also has a Susan Howatch-y multi-generational thing going on. Good luck on getting hold of it - I was lucky enough to get a copy for 20p in my local library sale. :D [/quote]

Susan Howatchy thing - now I'm fired up.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 1:21 am

Annis reviewed this for HistoricalNovels.info recently. Her review certainly made me want to read it!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 2:27 am

[quote=""Margaret""]Annis reviewed this for HistoricalNovels.info recently. Her review certainly made me want to read it![/quote]

Thank you Margaret and Annis, you have thoroughly whetted my appetite now. Hopefully it's finished before Gabaldon's book arrives.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 4:02 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Ash, very cool. My guess from looking at the hold status it should land by Saturday/Monday at the earliest and ILL's are three weeks and no renewals so it will get fast-tracked as soon as I finish my current read.[/quote]

Ok, I am working on a book that will take me probably through Fri to finish, then there's another I've been wanting to get to for the weekend. Monday sounds good.

Return to “France”