Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Catherine de Medici

(see under "By Era" for French Revolution fiction)
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Catherine de Medici

Post by Tanzanite » Sat July 18th, 2009, 3:50 am

I wasn't really sure where to put this, so I thought I would start a thread on Catherine.

You can read a couple of excerpts from Jeanne Kalogridis The Devil's Queen here.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat July 18th, 2009, 2:06 pm

Thanks for posting those. I intend to read them after I let go of M. Dumas and The Two Dianas. Speaking of Catherine, I thought I'd share this quote from Volume II:
The ideas of the Italian courts on politics, imported by Catherine de Medicis and her Florentines, were then fashionable in France. He who best deceived was reputed cleverest. To conceal one's thoughts and disguise one's deeds was the great art. Sincereity would have passed for folly.

The noblest and purest characters of the time - Conligny, Conde, and Chacellor Olivier - were tainted with this leprosy.

Consequently, the Duke de Guise did not despite the Prince de Conde: he admired him.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat July 18th, 2009, 3:00 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I wasn't really sure where to put this, so I thought I would start a thread on Catherine.

You can read a couple of excerpts from Jeanne Kalogridis The Devil's Queen here.[/quote]

I have this book on preorder. French royalty is not my strong point and after visiting many French royal sites on my recent trip, I thought I'd make it a point to learn more about French royals.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu August 6th, 2009, 4:03 pm

This is on my TBR list!

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Thu August 6th, 2009, 5:24 pm

I have just finished reading (in the past week) and actually liked it. There is a lot of superstition and black magic, but I found it interesting (not sure how historically accurate) or if Catherine really practiced black magic.

I found I was sympathetic to her character in this story, I never really thought of her as evil in this novel, maybe a little cold in some aspects, but not truly evil. At least not compared to how history often depicts her!
Andrea

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu August 6th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Jean Plaidy wrote a few novels on her.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 9th, 2009, 11:27 pm

Well I just finished Devil's Queen and I am seriously underwhelmed. Let alone that she put in a couple of very PG'ish plot twists that were not addressed in her 1 1/2 pages worth of authors notes at the end.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun August 9th, 2009, 11:41 pm

Is this even worth my time? I gave it up and am reading girl in the blue dress but I was thinking of going back. Should I skip it?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 9th, 2009, 11:57 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Is this even worth my time? I gave it up and am reading girl in the blue dress but I was thinking of going back. Should I skip it?[/quote]

You know, my reading of French history is forever colored by reading Dumas. Everyone else loved Mistress of the Sun. That said, outside of the PG like twists, I had issues with the first person narrative that really hemmed the story telling in. Working on a review for Amazon right now.

Personally, I'm glad it's a library book and really wished I'd skipped it.
Last edited by Misfit on Mon August 10th, 2009, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon August 10th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Regarding this fascinating queen, I am eagerly waiting for Chris Gortner's newest project, The Confessions of Catherine de Medici. Summer 2010 just seems too far away to wait.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Return to “France”