Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Angelique series

(see under "By Era" for French Revolution fiction)
LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri March 2nd, 2012, 11:36 am

Not terribly helpful, I bet you'll have more joy from the Friends of Angelique if they pick up their e-mails Misfit - from the sounds of it poor Anne Golon is no stranger to copyright/royalties problems :( What did you think of Angelique in Barbary?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 2nd, 2012, 12:24 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Not terribly helpful, I bet you'll have more joy from the Friends of Angelique if they pick up their e-mails Misfit - from the sounds of it poor Anne Golon is no stranger to copyright/royalties problems :( What did you think of Angelique in Barbary?[/quote]

No response yet from the Yahoo group :(

I did like Barbary, but it did drag on a bit too long, and to me it felt like one of those books in a series that is just there to set up events to make future storylines work. I'm about halfway through A in Revolt and really enjoying that, especially the changes in Angelique. She's finally maturing, and quite a lot at that.

I have been meaning to ask about the translations/translators, but I've been a bit too busy to put my thoughts into words (and I'm still not - it's much too early right now). I have mismatched sets and I've noticed different translators and the two I've enjoyed less have been translated by a Monroe Stearns, the others by a Marguerette Barnette. Without being able to compare one over the other side by side I couldn't say for sure, but the two I've read translated by Stearns just seemed to be less lively and a bit of a chore to read at times.

Thoughts anyone?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 2nd, 2012, 12:26 pm

Angelique
Angelique and the King
Angelique and the Sultan
Angelique in Love
The Countess Angelique
The Temptation of Angelique
Angelique and the Demon
Angelique and the Ghosts

and then another couple of books that haven't been translated into English yet.

The first book, Angelique, contains two books that were originally published separately Angelique, The Marquise of the Angels and Angelique: The Road to Versailles
The series order can get confusing, depending on what volumes you pick up. I've seen that book #1 is sometimes broken down into two books as DL has noted. If your book is say 400 pages, you're missing half of it. I'm currently on A in Revolt and that is missing from the above list. It should be read after Angelique and the Sultan (AKA Angelique in Barbary). I'm not far enough along yet, but it appears that The Countess Angelique is sometimes found in two volumes.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat March 3rd, 2012, 4:48 pm

That's an interesting point Misfit, I've just been and checked through mine - the majority of my copies were translated by Marguerite Barnette, my copy of 'Angelique and the Sultan' by Monroe Stearns and my copy of 'Angelique' by a Rita Barisse. I can't say I've noticed much of a difference, I don't know with Sultan (which I liked but less than the others) whether it was the storyline or the translation. When I read Revolt I got 3/4s through and couldn't finish it, but at the time there was a lot of bad things going on in my life and I think I needed a lighter read that Revolt couldn't provide. Angelique definitely matured and found a purpose, parts of it I found very sad. 'The Temptation of Angelique' came in two parts originally I think.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 3rd, 2012, 6:38 pm

Angelique in Revolt does have some heavy storyline, although the last of it, which still serious was easier going. I read of a bit of Angelique in Love last night, and preparing to sink into it for the rest of my Saturday afternoon. I have a feeling I've guessed a bit of what's coming up and can't wait to get there.

It looks like the UK editions were broken up more than the US editions, at least the ones that I have found.

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Sat March 3rd, 2012, 8:16 pm

Something I've run into when reading a book series is that, when you read the books right after another, they can get a bit draggy (Thane's Williamsburg did not, but Martin's Game of Thrones did). Do you find that happening with the Angelique series, Misfit? Would they read better with a bit of spacing? Haven't started the first one so I'm curious as to whether to read together or not.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 3rd, 2012, 8:45 pm

[quote=""bevgray""]Something I've run into when reading a book series is that, when you read the books right after another, they can get a bit draggy (Thane's Williamsburg did not, but Martin's Game of Thrones did). Do you find that happening with the Angelique series, Misfit? Would they read better with a bit of spacing? Haven't started the first one so I'm curious as to whether to read together or not.[/quote]

Bev, I know what you mean with a series but I'm not getting that feeling yet. I think part may be that the story and setting changes constantly so you're not stuck in the same old same old all the time. There's also a bit ta-da coming (at least I think it's coming) that will keep you reading. I hear that the book I'm currently on, Angelique in Love, ends well and could almost finish the story for many readers. I believe I'll slow down after that - at least I hope I will.

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Mon March 5th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Thanks Misfit.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue March 6th, 2012, 2:34 am

I can't buy the Angelique books. I looked on Amazon and the second hand paperbacks are approx $30 and over. I would never pay that much money for a second hand book! :rolleyes: :( Oh well...I still have plenty to keep me busy :D

Bec :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 6th, 2012, 3:32 am

Bec, they aren't cheap. I would consider this a hunt to be able to find them languishing at a UBS by some fool bookseller who has no idea what gold he has sitting there.

Return to “France”