Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Angelique series

(see under "By Era" for French Revolution fiction)
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun February 26th, 2012, 12:32 am

There seems to be a few of these operations popping up - I've seen a lot of out of prints HF books on ebay apparently done the same way. They carry disclaimers about the scanning software that's used (some kind of optical recognition software) in that in may result in typos, extra or missing characters etc. I think some even mention there might be missing pages...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 26th, 2012, 12:54 am

36 pages vs 400 + pages is a big difference.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun February 26th, 2012, 2:50 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Yes, that much I've been able to figure out is that it is POD. Found the book listed on other bookseller sites as well. What gets my goat is this,

Plus they say it is 36 pages. Something is very rotten in Denmark. I'd love to tip them off but not many ideas where to start.[/quote]

But it is not (unless I am quite incorrect) a pre-1923 book as well Amazon should know and I am surprised they have allowed it to be listed as they will surely be just as guilty of copyright theft as the seller? If even Amazon cannot get its act together on this, then there is really no hope.

You might find this link helpful.

http://www.shaftek.org/blog/2010/07/11/ ... liobazaar/

This is why I get my out-of-copyright books from Archive and read them in PDF format but that is of no help to Kindle users.

PS: There is reference in the blog to Girls Gone By publishers which is a perfectly legit small UK publisher of old and OOP books for kids and have negotiated the rights to reprint and do a proper job of proof reading their publications.
Last edited by SGM on Sun February 26th, 2012, 3:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 26th, 2012, 3:19 am

[quote=""SGM""]But it is not (unless I am quite incorrect) a pre-1923 book as well Amazon should know and I am surprised they have allowed it to be listed as they will surely be just as guilty of copyright theft as the seller? If even Amazon cannot get its act together on this, then there is really no hope.

You might find this link helpful.

http://www.shaftek.org/blog/2010/07/11/ ... liobazaar/[/quote]

I am pretty sure you are correct on the publish dates. I have seen some recent discussions at Dear Author and other places, that Amazon will not act unless the INJURED party complains. I might give it a whirl anyway and see what they do. I did see some very specific language in the edition I own, as well as a write here.....so I might try that as well.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun February 26th, 2012, 9:24 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I am pretty sure you are correct on the publish dates. I have seen some recent discussions at Dear Author and other places, that Amazon will not act unless the INJURED party complains. I might give it a whirl anyway and see what they do. I did see some very specific language in the edition I own, as well as a write here.....so I might try that as well.[/quote]

Call me naive, but does that not mean they are aiding and abetting and illegal act? We have an organisation here called FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) although I think they are most concerned about software copyright but I am not sure if they, too, will only deal with complaints from the owner. I also rather wonder (but am by no means sure) that if the product is not fit for purpose, we could over here report them to the Trading Standards Authority but that solution might be completely off the wall.

At the very least, Amazon should be obliged to notify the copyright owner once the infringement has been notified to them. But what do I know?
Last edited by SGM on Sun February 26th, 2012, 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun February 26th, 2012, 5:37 pm

I've never seen anything like this before on Amazon, I've seen digital versions for sale on Ebay but I'm really surprised they would allow this as it must be a total infringement of copyright - and it's most certainly not 36 pages or a book published before 1923 :mad:

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 26th, 2012, 5:48 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]I've never seen anything like this before on Amazon, I've seen digital versions for sale on Ebay but I'm really surprised they would allow this as it must be a total infringement of copyright - and it's most certainly not 36 pages or a book published before 1923 :mad: [/quote]

I agree. I am going to try to contact the publisher for the US edition I own and see if I get anywhere.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed February 29th, 2012, 12:56 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Plus they say it is 36 pages. Something is very rotten in Denmark. I'd love to tip them off but not many ideas where to start.[/quote]

You could drop a line to Friends of Angelique, the official discussion group. I think it is read by Nadia, Anne Golon's daughter.

I wonder if people will ever stop trying to defraud this particular author. She had a major battle a while back with Hachette who were selling her books but failing to pass on any royalties.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 29th, 2012, 1:50 am

Thanks Moppet, I'll give that a shot. I never did hear back from Bantam, and the email that went to the webmaster at the Angelique site has not been delivered yet.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 29th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Just got a reply from Bantam/Random House on the issue,
Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Random House and for your interest in our publications.

The link Amazon link you provided seems to be for a book with a different title. We have no information on “Angelique in Barbary” in our system, nor for author Sergeanne Golon. Apparently Bantam no longer held the rights to this title when they were acquired by Random House. To find the current rights holder, if any, you may have to contact the Library of Congress.

Random House Consumer Services

Nothing back from the Yahoo group yet.

Return to “France”