Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Angelique series

(see under "By Era" for French Revolution fiction)
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

The Angelique series

Post by diamondlil » Thu March 12th, 2009, 5:43 am

I was sure we already had a thread for this series but I must be thinking of the old board, and I know there are some fans here.

I am currently reading the third book, and I have to say that Angelique has lived quite the life!

Completely over the top but oh what fun. As I noted in the What are you reading thread for this month, these early editions have shocking covers as well, but what is inside the cover is excellent!

The books in the series:

Angelique
Angelique and the King
Angelique and the Sultan
Angelique in Love
The Countess Angelique
The Temptation of Angelique
Angelique and the Demon
Angelique and the Ghosts

and then another couple of books that haven't been translated into English yet.

The first book, Angelique, contains two books that were originally published separately Angelique, The Marquise of the Angels and Angelique: The Road to Versailles

Small spoilers:

Her men also have a very strange tendency to not stay dead when she and the reader thinks they are, and despite having three kids and everything she still manages to have a perfect body. What a gal!
Last edited by diamondlil on Thu March 12th, 2009, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu March 12th, 2009, 11:43 am

I'm going to have to try for an ILL on some of these once the pile and library holds ease up. They sound like a lot of fun.

There was a post on the old board that said these might be republished soon. Never heard anything after that.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu March 12th, 2009, 11:59 am

Yes, they also said that there was a possibility that the last few books would get translated. The author had a lot of trouble with her publishers and there have been long running court battles.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu March 12th, 2009, 12:08 pm

I loved these when I was a teenager. My mother read them avidly. We'd borrow them from the library and both read them within the 3 weeks given!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Angel?

Post by chuck » Thu March 12th, 2009, 3:10 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I loved these when I was a teenager. My mother read them avidly. We'd borrow them from the library and both read them within the 3 weeks given![/quote]

Back in the day I remember reading my girlfriend's copy of a "Angelique Book"....Wow...really a very bawdy Lass and many of the men were cads.... some interesting history....I remember this story taking place in Canada...Don't know how she got there....very entertaining read....I heard they even attempted put A. into films.....

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu March 12th, 2009, 4:47 pm

I read "Angelique in Barbary". good stuff, the author, anne Golon and her husband, was really up to speed on her sources. at a time when that wasnt so usual.

heres a link:
http://www.worldofangelique.com/

and heres one to the angelique films

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa ... gel01.html

Ive seen a few of them. they are pretty good. not sure if theyve ever been dubbed into english.

i remember a description of her as the "most ravishing and most ravished heroine in history"
Last edited by Kveto from Prague on Thu March 12th, 2009, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu March 12th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Every time I see these books mentioned I think of my sister, her name is Angelique.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu March 12th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Thanks for the links, keny. I read these when I wa a teenager as well, though unlike EC's mother, mine would never have approved of them. I had to read them very sneakily, and they certainly improved my woefully lacking sex education :) There seemed to be a fashion for these series of historical romps featuring lusty heroines at the time- I recall ploughing through Juliette Benzoni's books as well- her "Catherine" series, set in medieval France, and "Marianne', set in Napoleonic France. They were a good read too.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu March 12th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Another novel "Peyton Place"although not HF but it was very "enlightening" to read as a young adolescent....I remember the Librarian giving me a bad time about it.....

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu March 12th, 2009, 8:14 pm

[quote=""annis""]Thanks for the links, keny. I read these when I wa a teenager as well, though unlike EC's mother, mine would never have approved of them. I had to read them very sneakily, and they certainly improved my woefully lacking sex education :) There seemed to be a fashion for these series of historical romps featuring lusty heroines at the time- I recall ploughing through Juliette Benzoni's books as well- her "Catherine" series, set in medieval France, and "Marianne', set in Napoleonic France. They were a good read too.[/quote]

I read the Catherine books by Benzoni at a young age, but they were somewhat darker than the Angelique ones. Doesn't the 'hero' strangle his ex-mistress while having sex with her? My mother never read this series - I think it would have been a shade too much on the S/M side for her. At the time I was rather shocked.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “France”