Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Désirée by Annemarie Selinko

(see under "By Era" for French Revolution fiction)
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Désirée by Annemarie Selinko

Post by Misfit » Wed March 11th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Anyone know anything about this one? I just got a recommendation from a commenter on Amazon and might have to put this one on the list.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed March 11th, 2009, 8:37 pm

I read it and didn't care for it, but I think on the old board there were a few fans. It's been several years, so things are a bit hazy, but as I recall what irritated me most was that everything Napoleon did was somehow related to his feelings for Desiree, and he kept constantly reappearing to ask her advice or to get consolation or something from her--it felt very contrived. On the other hand, the title, Desiree, certainly wasn't a misnomer, because hardly anyone was allowed to have a non-Desiree-related thought or action. Again, though, it has been a while since I've read it. I might have liked it better if I hadn't read Sandra Gulland's trilogy first.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 11th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Thanks, I might be OK then since I haven't read Gulland's books. Library has it so it's not a great loss if it's not for me.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed March 11th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Desiree was # 3 on the bestseller list for the year 1953. It has the two-chapter setup pattern of most HF if that decade. I, for one, am glad to see it come out again.

I read this as a teenager and the plot still sticks with me. I remember enjoying it very much, although at the time I wasn't much of a critic, writing-wise. But it was at the same period where I was reading Gwen Bristow, for whatever that's worth.

Certainly the rejected fiancee of Napoleon ending up as the queen of Sweden was an interesting bit of history I might never have known otherwise.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Wed March 11th, 2009, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed March 11th, 2009, 10:18 pm

I read it back in 1953 and enjoyed it at the time. You might want to see the film after you read it.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

trueblood
Scribbler

Post by trueblood » Sat September 5th, 2009, 7:46 pm

[quote=""MLE""]Desiree was # 3 on the bestseller list for the year 1953. It has the two-chapter setup pattern of most HF if that decade. I, for one, am glad to see it come out again.

I read this as a teenager and the plot still sticks with me. I remember enjoying it very much, although at the time I wasn't much of a critic, writing-wise. But it was at the same period where I was reading Gwen Bristow, for whatever that's worth.

Certainly the rejected fiancee of Napoleon ending up as the queen of Sweden was an interesting bit of history I might never have known otherwise.[/quote]

I also read it as a teen, and I really enjoyed it then! You'll have to tell us how it stands up for adult readers, if you did get around to it, OP! :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat September 5th, 2009, 7:57 pm

I read it, review here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sat September 5th, 2009, 10:08 pm

I quite liked it, perhaps because I first read it as a teenager when it was last reissued in the 70s. Kind of read it at the same time as the Angelique novels, etc. It's a potboiler of sorts, but then it doesn't aspire to be literature, so that doesn't bug me. (Pretentious books always bug me!) I also liked the outsider's view of Josephine; and found that the author did a pretty good job of showing how self-centered Desiree really was, despite the first-person narrative. You can see just why people get exasperated with her! And since it's written in the form of a diary, somewhat, the "everything is about ME" perspective made sense.

Ended up with two copies somehow, I think one of mine is now posted at PBS (same moniker as here.)

love_uk
Reader

Post by love_uk » Wed September 30th, 2009, 6:37 am

Read it as a teenager & loved it - it provided my first Napoleonic experience!

Must re-read one of these days.

:)
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Sun February 28th, 2010, 11:20 pm

I just finished this and thought it was so-so once Desiree moved to Paris and married. There was too much military planning for my taste, and her relationship to Napoleon grew tiresome.

Return to “France”