Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Outlander movie?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Thu November 20th, 2008, 5:01 am

I just saw her at a book signing and you are right, classy, smart and funny. I may have to rethink her books....Anyway, I agree - instant red lights flashing when I see Braveheart and Pearl Harbour on the directors list....

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu November 20th, 2008, 11:52 am

Haven't seen PH but Braveheart took so many liberties with history - I know Cross Stitch is fiction but even so I wouldn't feel too confident if I saw B & PH on a CV....

Mara
Scribbler

Postby Mara » Wed January 21st, 2009, 10:59 pm

Sorry, still playing catch up here (slowly :D ) so only just stumbled across this thread.

Not sure if I'd want to see a film made of either one of the books or the series. Themes are so intertwined and complex between the various books that alot would have to be left out to fit the film timeframe, even just for the first book. It would be cut to the very basics. Me, I'd rather keep it all in my imagination if/when I read the books again.

Yes, the news of that scriptwriter is a bit worrying. Neither scripts were great. Also wonder if the producers - as in Braveheart - would happily cast an actor who'd put on the worst Scottish accent? ~shudders~ Not forgetting that the accent was unsuitable anyway, at least in BH...

Bless her, she must get so much mail about it all, with everyone having different ideas. ;)

love_uk
Reader

Postby love_uk » Mon August 31st, 2009, 5:20 am

I'm on the side of PLEASE don't attempt this - you'll ruin it :mad:

On the other hand, I remember several mini-series based on books I adored whose casting horrified me at the time but turned out relatively okay in the end:

Shogun: I soooo wanted Robert Redford & they gave me Richard Chamberlain?

Winds of War & War & Remembrance: Robert Mitchum??? Ali McGraw? Puh-leez!
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

Return to “Diana Gabaldon”