Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Outlander series

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Sat September 12th, 2009, 8:14 pm

Wow - thanks for looking into it! It just seems like such a weird printing error. It looks like that may be what it is, though.

My copy of the book has the same pagination as the one in Google Books, but in a couple of spots that say "Gerald Forbes" online, my copy says "Neil Forbes." It's the Delta trade paperback edition, dated September 2007, while the one in Google is dated September 2006. It seems very strange that the errors would multiply in later editions, but it seems to be what's happened. :confused:

ETA: I happened to be at Border's later in the day and checked out the smaller mass-market paperback. It looked like it said "Gerald" in all cases. Oddly enough, my husband was impatient because we were on our way to dinner and didn't seem to care at all about this extremely pressing issue! I guess it's just one of those little things that grabbed me.
Last edited by ellenjane on Mon September 14th, 2009, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Tue October 27th, 2009, 4:31 pm

I just started to read this series and am enjoying it so far. I had not read any works by DG before this, but am impressed so far and looking forward to the rest of the series.
Andrea

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue October 27th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Book #7, An Echo in the Bone, is finally out (as most of you probably know!), and Moseyer has contributed a nice review for HistoricalNovels.info. She says it was worth the wait!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue October 27th, 2009, 4:50 pm

I'm looking forward to reading "Echo in the Bone" (such an evocative title), but currently the library waiting list stands at 50, so it might be a while!

Frigate
Scribbler

Post by Frigate » Fri December 11th, 2009, 7:56 pm

I guess I'll just jump in here - I read Outlander when it first came out and thought - wow - what a cool book! And the story just keeps going, and going, and going - like the energizer bunny (which is all good of course). I guess my big complaint (and this is entirely my fault) is that I can't keep all the people straight or all the itty bitty details she starts in one book then continues or finishes in the next. There is too much time in between volumes for me to keep it all straight in my head! I kind of wish now I hadn't started the whole thing until she was done - if she ever will be! I know I'm missing important details because the first reference to whatever is lost in the recesses of my mind. :(

I also have to wonder when and how she's going to end this story as it conceivably could go on forever! Do you ever get the feeling from this author (or others that write novels like this) that they get so wrapped up in their characters and their story that they just can't bring themselves to end it? And by the way, I'm finding myself far more interested in Bree and Roger now than Claire and Jamie after reading AEITB. Yes, this truly could go on a long time once we get the kids and grandkids involved... :D

Muse in the Fog
Scribbler

Post by Muse in the Fog » Sun February 21st, 2010, 2:38 am

I have just finished reading Outlander last month, which you can read my review for here: Outlander Review.
It was such a captivating story that I hardly noticed it was 800+ pages! I think its wonderful to hear such great things about the most recent books in the series; usually when a series continues it tends to loose its pizazz. Hopefully I will get to the next book soon. I don't want to zoom through the series but at the same time I dont want to forget everything by waiting to long. Looking forward to talking about the series here!
Visit my blog: The Muse in the Fog Book Review a place for Historical Fiction at it's Best!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun February 21st, 2010, 10:52 am

It has quite a following, Muse, one of them being me! :D I've read them all apart from Echo in the Bone and loved them all.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 21st, 2010, 12:36 pm

I loved this series, although Echo was quite a disappointment. The first three are the best and if you don't want to commit to all of them you'd want to read at least those.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Muse in the Fog
Scribbler

Post by Muse in the Fog » Sun February 21st, 2010, 2:02 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I loved this series, although Echo was quite a disappointment. The first three are the best and if you don't want to commit to all of them you'd want to read at least those.[/quote]

That is good to know about the first three. I'm sure I'll read through the whole series soon but I will definitely pass this information on to some of my friends who like the series but don't want to go crazy over it. Thanks!
Visit my blog: The Muse in the Fog Book Review a place for Historical Fiction at it's Best!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 21st, 2010, 3:01 pm

Everyone must read as far as Voyager, there's a BIG something that should not be missed by any J&C fan.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Diana Gabaldon”