Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

An Echo in the Bone

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Your Amazon.com order has shipped

Post by Misfit » Mon September 21st, 2009, 5:44 pm

Open open open open open.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 21st, 2009, 7:00 pm

Ooooooh, lucky you, Misfit! :D I should be getting my trade paperback copy soon, then.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Mon September 21st, 2009, 8:51 pm

I am so perturbed - this is my busiest week of the year, work-wise, and I'm supposed to be finishing up "Atlas Shrugged" for my book club. But new Claire and Jamie is so much more appealing than both those options!

Also, Diana Gabaldon will be at my Barnes & Noble for a reading on October 1, so I'd really like to have the book done by then. We shall see. Choices, choices. :p

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 21st, 2009, 9:09 pm

I just noticed this at B&N's site,
Meanwhile, in the relative safety of the twentieth century, Jamie and Claire’s daughter, Brianna, and her husband, Roger MacKenzie, have resettled in a historic Scottish home where, across a chasm of two centuries, the unfolding drama of Brianna’s parents’ story comes to life through Claire’s letters. The fragile pages reveal Claire’s love for battle-scarred Jamie Fraser and their flight from North Carolina to the high seas, where they encounter privateers and ocean battles–as Brianna and Roger search for clues not only to Claire’s fate but to their own. Because the future of the MacKenzie family in the Highlands is mysteriously, irrevocably, and intimately entwined with life and death in war-torn colonialAmerica.
Privateers and ocean battles. Oh my.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 22nd, 2009, 2:11 pm

Looks like there's a bit of controversy over the Kindle price - see the reviews here.

I see the hardback is selling at what a TB normally runs, which makes me happy but there's some ticked off kindle users.

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Thu October 1st, 2009, 9:25 pm

Anyone else read it yet? I finished last night and I am DYING to discuss it. I won't give anything away, but I will say that for the first time I am very very upset! Can we maaybe have a spoiler thread so we can discuss without spoiling things for others?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 1st, 2009, 11:18 pm

I got halfway through and put it aside, I plan on attacking it again this weekend. I can't make a final judgment yet but there are many things that I am not happy with. I've been dying to discuss it further, but the threads at Goodreads and Amazon (as well as most of the reviews) are filled with spoilers so I've been staying away. I accidentially got a whiff of something which if it turns out to be true is going to tick me off big time.

I'll check back in later this weekend and we can go for a buddy read - with spoiler warning blazing.

I never ever thought it possible that I could put a Gabaldon book down with no qualms and walk away from it, yet that is exactly what's happened.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri October 2nd, 2009, 9:31 am

I've read a few pages, but not sure when I will get to it. Certainly start a buddy read thread and discuss away!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Fri October 2nd, 2009, 2:17 pm

I am about 100 pages in, and hope to be at the point where I can discuss things in more depth by the end of the weekend. Sounds like things are going to get interesting...

In related news, I had a great time at the signing event last night. Gabaldon is a great speaker as well as writer, and kept everyone entertained. She spoke about how she got into writing and started on Outlander for a while, then took questions. Apparently she has plans for books about Jamie's parents, as well as a book about Murtagh's story. (Apparently the graphic novel coming out relatively soon is told from Murtagh's perspective.) It also seems that she just finished An Echo in the Bone five and half weeks ago. That's some speedy printing!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 2nd, 2009, 4:13 pm

Thanks for sharing, how cool. I think we're getting reading to start discussing over at Buddy reads so come and join us when you're ready. I'll be picking it again up either later today or tomorrow.

Return to “Diana Gabaldon”