Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Written in My Own Heart's Blood

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Written in My Own Heart's Blood

Post by Susan » Mon July 7th, 2014, 1:34 pm

OK, I am done. Repeating a bit of what I had posted in the July 2014 what are you reading thread. Some meandering thoughts...

1) I LOVED the Brianna/Roger parts!

2)The parts I enjoyed the most in the time period where Jamie and Claire are involved other characters. Jamie and Claire hold the plot together because of their relationships with the other characters, but they just are not all that interesting any more and what they do does not drive the plot any more.

3) I don't need the Jamie/Claire sex scenes.

3) There is way too much about the Battle of Monmouth in New Jersey, although since I live near the battlefield and know the places mentioned I could relate to it. I haven't actually been to the battlefield since the 200th anniversary recreation (my major memory is a horrible case of poison ivy), but I am planning a trip to the battlefield soon. It's now a NJ state park, there are hiking trails, etc. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...ks/monbat.html

4) I want to go to the place where Claire got the plants and herbs in Philadelphia, Bartram's Garden: http://www.bartramsgarden.org/ . Philadelphia is 60 miles away, so I will go sometime.

5) I attended a Quaker wedding on June 29 and the next day I was reading the part about the Quaker wedding!

6) I was happy that the ending was somewhat tied up and I feel that the series could end there if Diana Gabaldon wanted it to end. I am sure her devout readers have other ideas! After I read An Echo in the Bone I spent five years wondering
All this being said, would I read the next book! You betcha!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 7th, 2014, 6:29 pm

I couldn't agree more. I still have to write up my own review.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Mon August 11th, 2014, 12:38 am

Just finished the audiobook version. I got very excited when I got it & saw there were enough cds - I think 38 - to last for many days of commuting & listening :rolleyes: :)

As always I was amazed at the research the author has done. So many disparate areas researched also - military history, plants & medicine of the time, Quakers, British aristocracy, etc.

Brianna & Roger have never really done it for me, but their portion of the book was certainly not dull!

I also loved integrating the Greys more. Lord John is actually my favorite Gabaldon character. I thought the interplay between Jamie & John sort of devolved in a way that didn't quite take in their history up to that point though. I guess Jamie will never be an evolved 21st century type, so maybe I was expecting too much! I would love another Lord John book set just after WIMOHB, as it seems that the Greys & Fraziers may not be in the same neighborhood too much after 1778.

I did like the ending. I was expecting it but it was nicely done.

And, oh yes, more of the series please!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon August 11th, 2014, 8:27 pm

[quote=""red805""]Just finished the audiobook version. I got very excited when I got it & saw there were enough cds - I think 38 - to last for many days of commuting & listening :rolleyes: :) [/quote]
Having seen the 2 parts, that's quite a bit of listening time. Our copies here at the library went out today so that patron is in for a haul!

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Mon August 25th, 2014, 11:20 pm

OK, I've been thinking about this since finishing the book - what is in Briana's bag?

Return to “Diana Gabaldon”