Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Becky's Reads

What have you read in 2008? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Telynor
Bibliophile

October 2008 reads

Post by Telynor » Fri October 31st, 2008, 10:24 pm

Genghis: Birth of an Empire by Conn Iggulden (fiction)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (fiction)
The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang (fiction)
The Devil?s Brood by Sharon Kay Penman (fiction)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Fiery Shaffer and Annie Barrows (fiction)
The Sharing Knife: Legacy by Lois McMaster Bujold (novel)
The Love Knot by Elizabeth Chadwick (novel)
The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British by Sarah Lyall (nonfiction)
The Crimson Thread: A retelling of Rumplestilskin by Suzanne Weyn (novel)
The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn (nonfiction)
The Library Paradox by Catherine Shaw (fiction)

All in all, a really good bundle of books, with only a couple of holes in the wall.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 31st, 2008, 10:34 pm

Have you posted a review for The Love Knot yet? I need to make sure I give you my worthless fan vote :) :p :confused:

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat November 1st, 2008, 2:42 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Have you posted a review for The Love Knot yet? I need to make sure I give you my worthless fan vote :) :p :confused: [/quote]

Not yet. I'm waiting for Epinions to get off of their dead arses and get the link into their database. I'm still twiddling with it as I'm waiting. Personally, I never consider your votes to be worthless.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat November 1st, 2008, 5:08 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Not yet. I'm waiting for Epinions to get off of their dead arses and get the link into their database. I'm still twiddling with it as I'm waiting. Personally, I never consider your votes to be worthless.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll keep trying. Maddening that they don't stick though. The negative votes stick well enough :mad:

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun November 2nd, 2008, 8:56 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Thanks, I'll keep trying. Maddening that they don't stick though. The negative votes stick well enough :mad: [/quote]

I find it very frustrating myself. It's such an illogical thing to do. If Epinions doesn't give me a link by next Wed, I'll go on and post the Love Knot review on Amazon. But I think you can still leave comments, even if the ratings don't stick.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun November 2nd, 2008, 12:31 pm

I'm making a point of leaving a comment for you and a couple others when I vote, just to "document" as it were that a vote was cast. I've given you and Lilly at least one or two that never even show. Hugely unfair, especially as the negg's keep sticking :mad:

**edited** I just stopped over to your and Lilly's reviews and I could swear I posted a vote that showed up and now it's gone, but Lilly's picked up a negative instead.
Last edited by Misfit on Sun November 2nd, 2008, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun November 30th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Not a lot read this month, mostly trying to get things done around here. Reviews for these and other things are posted over at Epinions.com/user-telynor -- any and all hits and comments are greatly appreciated!

Matriarch: Queen Mary and the House of Windsor by Anne Edwards (nonfiction)
A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick (novel)
The Ideal Wife by Mary Balogh (novel)
Apocalypse: Earthquakes, Archaeology and the Wrath of God by Amos Nur (nonfiction)
The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (fiction)
The Sharing Knife: Passage by Lois McMaster Bujold (fiction)
Red Square by Martin Cruz Smith (fiction)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 4:03 am

December 2008 reads:

In Triumph’s Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters and the Price They Paid for Glory by Julia P. Gelardi (nonfiction)
The Time of Singing by Elizabeth Chadwick (fiction)
The Glass of Time by Michael Cox (fiction)
Mortal Danger and Other True Cases by Ann Rule (nonfiction)
The Far Pavilions by M. M. Kaye (fiction)
The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough (fiction)
Past Perfect by Susan Isaacs (fiction)

Again, not a lot of reads, but then TFP took up a lot of my time, not to mention the holidays.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2008”