Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pat's reads..

What have you read in 2008? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Fri October 17th, 2008, 3:38 am

Shadows and Strongholds, by EC 5/5

I can honestly say I love ECs novels!

Alentejo Blue, by Monica Ali 2/5

Have you ever loved a book by an author, then found another one and it was crap? I really enjoyed Brick Lane by Ms Ali, however Alentejo Blue was not IMHO very good at all! I didnt like the way the writing jumped from one character to another, and how I felt as if the story went nowhere. I wasted good reading time on it!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri October 17th, 2008, 5:46 am

[quote=""pat""]
Alentejo Blue, by Monica Ali 2/5

Have you ever loved a book by an author, then found another one and it was crap? I really enjoyed Brick Lane by Ms Ali, however Alentejo Blue was not IMHO very good at all! I didnt like the way the writing jumped from one character to another, and how I felt as if the story went nowhere. I wasted good reading time on it![/quote]

Isn't that an awful experience? It's such a wretched feeling to realize that you've wasted hours (and money, sometimes) on something that's complete offal. Very depressing! I hope the next book is more interesting.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sun October 26th, 2008, 11:07 am

Ding ding next round!

After the experience from Alentejo Blue, I wanted something that was modernish and a good story. I found in my TBR pile Those Faraday Girls by Monica McInerney. It was brilliant! The story starts in Hobart, Tasmania but travels around the world! The Faraday sisters are raised by eachother and their father after their mothers death. They always appear to be a happy family but are they? 4/5

I really recommend this book!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun October 26th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Have you read any of Monica McInerney's other books. I've read a couple and really liked them. I haven't read this one though.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Mon October 27th, 2008, 11:18 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]Have you read any of Monica McInerney's other books. I've read a couple and really liked them. I haven't read this one though.[/quote]

I cant recall any, but today at the library I picked another...amongst a couple of EC's and another Ladies No 1 detective! Hope I get time to read them all!

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 3:28 am

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran 4/5 This is not an era I usually read, however I really enjoyed it! I kept wondering if Nefertari would become accepted, and how. I wasn not dissapointed! Michelle writes in a way that keeps the reader enthralled in the plot. Well done, and thank you Michelle!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun November 9th, 2008, 6:19 pm

Pat, I couldn't agree with you more about PG's The Other Queen. I didn't even get to the halfway point before I put it down.

And I'm so glad you enjoyed THQ!!!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu November 20th, 2008, 3:37 am

Family Baggage by Monica McInerney 3/5
Bit drawn out! However, I did enjoy story. It was a good 'light' read.

The Champion by Elizabeth Chadwick
(still reading, nearly finished...need to return it to the library tomorrow!)

Finished this! 4/5 I loved it.
Last edited by pat on Mon November 24th, 2008, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sun December 14th, 2008, 10:36 am

In The Company of Cheerful Ladies, by Alexander McCall Smith 4/5

I love this series! I have missed only one, that is the one previous to this one, but was able to pick up the story easily.

Rose Alley, by Audrey Howard 3/5

I did enjoy this, but it seemed to go on a bit! It tells of a young girl, Gillyflower, her mother Queenie and a lad who had been a friend since her birth, Jem. How they strive to leave Rose Alley, a slum of Liverpool, the lowest of low, and the troubles they encounter.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2008”