Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Marketing a Novel

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Re: Marketing a Novel

Post by Margaret » Fri November 16th, 2018, 3:31 am

I still think the best way to go is the old-fashioned way of finding a good agent who can sell your book to a good publisher. That said, there's so much competition out there, that to succeed that way the book has to be really, really well written--not necessarily in the literary sense, though that's certainly a great thing, but it has to grab and hold a reader's attention from the moment they see the title, cover and blurb. So that's the reason there are a lot of self-pubbed authors out there, whether because for whatever reason they don't want to pursue the lengthy route of finding an agent (which can take years for a first-time author, even for a book that will ultimately be successful), or because they've been down that lengthy route and were unable to find an agent and/or publisher.

As a reader and reviewer, I totally agree with Lisa about the need for a cover that looks professional. I've reached the point where if I can tell the book is self-pubbed because the cover looks even slightly amateurish, I won't bother with it. But I did once apologize to an author who published with a small press that gave her book a klunky cover. Many months later, I picked it up, got hooked by the opening pages, read it all the way through and loved it. That publisher did her a terrible disservice with that cover.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

sarah3539

Post by sarah3539 » Mon April 17th, 2023, 2:53 pm

John Sliz wrote:
Mon June 27th, 2016, 7:17 pm
So what works and what doesn't work? I found a marketing agency in Adelaide, click the link.Let me know if you used their services before.
Hello there! Marketing a novel can be a daunting task, but there are several effective strategies you can try. One thing that works well is building an author platform through social media and blogging, where you can connect with potential readers and build a community around your work. Another effective approach is to get your book reviewed by reputable book bloggers and book review websites, which can help generate buzz and interest in your novel. On the other hand, some marketing tactics that may not work as well include spamming social media with self-promotional posts and relying solely on paid advertising without building a strong author brand. It's important to experiment with different strategies and find what works best for you and your book. Best of luck with your marketing efforts!

sebastian35554
Currently reading: none
Interest in HF: i wanted to learn more about history that's all for now.
Favourite HF book: noli me tangere
Preferred HF: period

Post by sebastian35554 » Fri May 19th, 2023, 10:49 am

Margaret wrote:
Fri November 16th, 2018, 3:31 am
I still think the best way to go is the old-fashioned way of finding a good agent who can sell your book to a good publisher. That said, there's so much competition out there, that to succeed that way the book has to be really, really well written--not necessarily in the literary sense, though that's certainly a great thing, but it has to grab and hold a reader's attention from the moment they see the title, cover and blurb. So that's the reason there are a lot of self-pubbed authors out there, whether because for whatever reason they don't want to pursue the lengthy route of finding an agent (which can take years for a first-time author, even for a book that will ultimately be successful), or because they've been down that lengthy route and were unable to find an agent and/or publisher.

As a reader and reviewer, I totally agree with Lisa about the need for a cover that looks professional. I've reached the point where if I can tell the book is self-pubbed because the cover looks even slightly amateurish, I won't bother with it. But I did once apologize to an author who published with a small press that gave her book a klunky cover. Many months later, I picked it up, got hooked by the opening pages, read it all the way through and loved it. That publisher did her a terrible disservice with that cover.

Also, if you are looking for a peaceful coworking space so you can write better, I suggest you to visit this website intersect Adelaide.
Hi there!

I completely understand your perspective on the traditional approach of finding a good agent and securing a publishing deal. It can indeed be a reliable path to success, provided the book is exceptionally well written and has the ability to captivate readers right from the start. The title, cover, and blurb play a crucial role in grabbing and holding a reader's attention, so it's essential to make them engaging and professional.

That being said, the publishing landscape has evolved, and self-publishing has become a viable option for many authors. Some authors choose self-publishing due to various reasons, such as a desire for a more streamlined and efficient publishing process or previous unsuccessful attempts at securing traditional publishing deals.

As a reader and reviewer, you rightly emphasize the importance of a professional-looking cover. A visually appealing cover can significantly impact a reader's decision to explore a book further. While self-published books sometimes face challenges in terms of cover quality, there are instances where exceptional stories shine through despite initial judgments based on covers. In such cases, it's unfortunate when a publisher fails to provide a suitable cover that accurately represents the book's content and potential.

Ultimately, the publishing journey varies for each author, and both traditional and self-publishing routes have their merits. It's crucial for authors to assess their goals and resources to make an informed decision. As a reader and reviewer, your discerning approach to covers is understandable, but it's also important to keep an open mind and not overlook hidden gems that may be waiting to be discovered.

If you have any more thoughts or questions, feel free to share!

Return to “The Writing Business”